Chipper rates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cry:A rip off for you!
That's why I avoid brush piles, that isn't ours.
An hour of chipping brush is a butt load of brush.

One solid hour of chipping, to me is worth 300 or better. If someone is willing to chip brush for 150 bucks an hour. I'll sell my chipper and they can follow me around this summer.

Well a 12" chipper is a bit much for me now...I'm going with what i can afford...maybye... like I mentioned earlier I've hopefully spotted a good deal on a ten-ish year old 935 vermeer with only 285 hours on it...just gotta figure out what to offer... as for climbers w/out chippers, there are a few forestry and ex forestry climbers (friends of mine) around here doing resi treework that don't have chippers...

One solid hour of chipping, to me is worth 300 or better. If someone is willing to chip brush for 150 bucks an hour. I'll sell my chipper and they can follow me around this summer.

How many hours a day will you guarantee? I might drive in for that. I'll bring my own chipper.

Scott

How many hours a day will you guarantee? I might drive in for that. I'll bring my own chipper.

Scott
Anymore Scott I can't guarantee anything. Just taking it one day at a time. When we get big removals or several removals, I bring in my claw buddy, gotta love the claw.

I was really kinda joking about selling it.
I have a nice chipper I redid a few years ago. Have a grand in diamond plate all over it. Rebuilt the motor and every squire inch of the rest of it. She's a beauty I tell ya, I couldn't sell it.

Soon I'll rub'er down and post some pics.
garfieldhangover.jpg

I dont charge by the hour. I work by the job. In my head I figure what its going to take to do the job and I shoot the customer a price. Sometimes I make $350 an hour or more. So what if I quote the job @ $500 and finish in two hours. Thats my business and Im the one who worked 70 hours a week for years to get that chipper that eats 12" logs. I never tell the customer an hourly rate because I can do A LOT in an hour. Plus you gotta think like the customer in some ways. If I say $150 an hour, they usually freak out and think im ripping them off. After all most customers only make $20/hour themselves. But they dont understand business expense.

:agree2: especially that customers will compare what they make an hr. vs. me charging them 4 times as much.

How many yards of chips do you guys figure you make per hour with a 12" chipper? Brush not logs...

I can fill up my chip box in an hour or so. 12' long x 7' wide x 5' tall, you do the math. Depends on if what im chipping has a lot of wood or just small branches with leaves. Obviously wood fills it up faster than brush. It also depends on if the brush is already stacked close to the chipper or not. But the point is it dont take long to get it full.

who owns it? County, another tree company, or individual who does tree work? Who owns it has a lot to do with what you can get it for.

it's owned by a municipality when times were good but wasnt' used much... they were offered 8.5 thousand for it a couple years back but figured they'd keep it....unfortunately they can't sell it directly to me so they're gonna put it to tender...up for bid that is...

That seems like a lot of money for a 10 year old machine. $8500.00 I bought a brand new 12" high roller for $17,000 in 07. Awsome machine 90 hp perkins with a lift cylinder.

chipper

You can get a much better machine than that for much less!!!

Move on...

Where? I've noticed they're definitely cheaper down stateside an Ontario, but that's a ways from me...any suggestions where to look? I've looked new... but a new 6" chipper (bandit) runs almost $25 g's and I've notices being self employed and having just recently bought a house no-one wants to loan money out...

I dunno, two guys should be able to get a lot through a chipper in an hour ( even if you have to make the piles first) so 150 per hour is about right. That is actuall time on the job not messing around, you may need a saw of course.
I never met a chip pile I was afraid of in my life.

depending on how wacked out the municipality is, it could be very lucrative. Small tenders can be thrown around pretty easily sometimes. I'm keeping my eye out for it, wherever it is, but not to buy, so good luck!

Latest posts

Back