chipper rpms?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i was wondering what rpms i should be running on my 200 brush bandit during regular extended chipping it has a 110 hp perkins diesel ? also im having trouble keeping the radiator screen clear of leaves etc. and it seemed a bit warm ... what temp. do yall think is to hot ?? thanx dark

I have a 125 hp Perkins in my Morbark.
The Morbark manual recommend 2,100 rpms max. for the chipper. Perkins web site recommends 2,600 rpms max for the engine.
My temp runs around 160.

When I had a 200, I ran it at 2500 rpm's. Temperature should be 180 or less. Get in the habit of giving the screen a quick brush off with your hand while chipping. If it gets real bad, just shut down and knock everything loose, then start up right away to cool the engine down. Here's my shutdown procedure: Feed wheels to neutral, shut down throttle, wait for rpm's to drop below 1000. Disengage clutch and shut off ignition. Clear the radiator screen then restart engine and let it idle until cutter wheel stops (about 3 minutes). Then shut off engine.

thanx for the info ..i have been running at 2500 rpm's and around 180 degrees.yeah im always schooping down leaves ..im thinking of building somekind of pre screen thing and have it about 2 inches off the radiator screen since it will be flat it would easier to clean i hear one of my competitors has that set up ...
i also have a 90 mod ... we put a 40 horse deutz deisel on it since its air cooled it will not run for hours ona really hot day im thinking of adding a cooling fan ..i really love having the 90 around since its so light weight ... thanx again dark

Change fan to pusher style.

We add pusher style fans to all the chippers we sell now. Eliminates the blowback problem and debris buildup.

Or build a box screen unit instead of a 2 dimensional screen, which will allow more build up and maybe you only have to clear it at the end of the day. I like that idea.

Or try an electric or mechanical(manual) reversing fan.

well i like the box idea ..... also we turn the chipper sideway s and move the shoot to prevent leaf build up ....pain in the rear ..... really i think the 200 models need some kind of a big snorkel air intake ? what u think ?

Latest posts

Back