Chipping Palm??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalTreeEquip

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I would like to get opinions on what chippers are best for chipping palm, from you guys with actual experience with this only please.
I know chuck&ducks work best but which hydraulic chipper work and which don't. I know guys in HI who use BC1250's, Bandit 1590's, Bandit 250's and Morbark 13's. It would be great to get some feedback on this.

Also what's best for chipping coconuts. I'm thinking a Bandit 250 with lift would probably be best option there, don't think anything smaller will work.

I'm going to repost this in my equipment forum as well.

we have a bandit 1590 but if you feed it to fast it jams up the chute. If you're just chipping the fronds any chipper would do as long as its fed slowly.
If you're talking about the trunk you'd be better off bucking it up and throwing it in the truck.

We use a Morbark MR13 Beaver because it only has one in feed roller (top). The one's with two roller's seem to grab the fronds and the bottom roller will get debris wrapping on the inside of the pillar bearing and can push it out it it builds up.
Jeff

Morning Jeff,

We use Bandit 1590's and 250XP's, they all seem to do fine. We keep those blades nice and sharp tho. We don't chip butt plates.

if you can fine one a whisper, is the best but be careful with washingtonia and phoenix they rip you a new one we chip with a 1800 it work ok but coco will clog it up

I run whole palm trees throu a BC 1800 no problem. Eats up the fronds no problem too. Bet it would eat coconuts no problem also. Back when I worked with a chuck and dive on palms, if the blades weren't sharp the fronds would just come out whole but wrinkled.
It helps to slow the feed down when chipping palm fronds and of course feed them butt end first. Some times on bigger palms I'll cut them down the middle so they'll fit inside the feed on the BC1800. Never had a problem.
Green dumps either won't take palm or charge more for it that's why we try and chip it all. If it has date or berry's no one wants it for mulch because so many palms will sprout.

Back