chokecherries

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NEK VT

NEK VT

ArboristSite Operative
I hunt partridge a lot and would like to get some chokecherry bushes (which the love) growing in the wet areas of my land... (CHOKECHERRY BUSHES IN vt ALWAYS GROW IN WET SPOTS.) any way... am i better off picking a bunck of choke cherries and sowing the wet areas with them or trying to dig up and move some..? I think digging up some and moving them might be trouble because they have such extensive root structures.

Kate Butler

Kate Butler

ArboristSite Guru
Easiest way will be with ripe fruit, but if you want faster results, you have to dig 'em. Having said that, I know of a number of places where they grow in non-wet areas. They grow along Route 14 between Hardwick and Newport and all over the place along back roads in the same area. They often have black knot and if you see black knot close to the ground, you can be pretty sure it's a chokecherry.

NEK VT

NEK VT

ArboristSite Operative
Ok

What is black knot exactly? I think I know but not sure as for the choke cherries... I plan to live out my days on my land and im only 25 so i got time... ill dig what i can but ill also try the ripe fruit thing.... but remember they are ripe and soft in the fall... is that still a good time to sow them?

ps where in the NEK u from kate?

NYCHA FORESTER

NYCHA FORESTER

ArboristSite Operative
When I visit my cousin in Downeast Maine I like to try and shoot the birdies. Basically taking the shotgun for a walk; still fun nonetheless though. I shot three in one day last year.... are record for me. :)

I am going to start looking for property in Northern NE to retire too (an chase birds... Maybe even get a dog) NEK is one of the places I'm looking into.... if the price is right.

Ed Roland

Ed Roland

Addicted to ArboristSite
What is black knot exactly? QUOTE]

Dibotryon morbosum - Apiosporina - or black knot is a fungal issue that takes a lot of selective pruning and fungicide sprays to control in the landscape setting. We recommend, as Plant Health Care professionals, to install resistant varieties or avoid Prunus spp. altogether in highly susceptible locations. A spring fungicide spray of nasty stuff like Dithane T&O or Manzcozeb DG provide some control. We also prune out infected areas/cankers as much as is feasable.
Im running off memory hear and dendrology was some time ago but the choke cherry is botanically known as Prunus virginiana and has shiny burgundy bark. This tree can certainly be transplanted. Try to do it when the tree is dormant and get as much of the root system as poss. This tree grows, quite well, in dry areas as well.

Latest posts