Spade attachment for impact driver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 187919

Reaction score
I've got some volunteer seedlings close to a row of 30+ year old balsam fir and blue spruce. I've been relocating some with success, but fighting the roots in the area when attempting to dig them is quite a chore. Sharpening the cutting edge of the narrow spade helps. I've got an impact driver that I think should be able to handle a spade bit which I'd think should help but haven't found any for 3/4" drive impact drivers. An option would be to get a welding shop to work up a shovel/spade unit on an existing shank I can provide, but I'm thinking a manufactured unit would be less expensive, although I've not yet found a suitable model for 3/4" shank. Anybody have any suggestions for where I can find one?

I would ditch the impact and size up to SDS bits and the cordless SDS drill. There is a hammer option and chisel bits that wouldn't need any weird sizing. When I have to work on the sprinkler system...I bring out the SDS tools and get with it.

The "impact driver" I have is the variety often called "demolition hammer", using the common 3/4" hex drive bits/attachments. Switching to a cordless SDS drill would involve a substantial investment and I doubt they'd have the capability of the unit I've got. Using a 120 volt demolition hammer is not an issue and when transplanting the dozen or so per year volunteer seedlings I'm using a Jonsered Iron Horse to transport bucket and tools and could carry along my 8KW generator as well. The numerous roots I encounter are often 1/2" or more in diameter

Back