How To Become A Chainsaw Guru?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just decided what type of chain I'll run on my future chainsaws (although this is essentially putting the cart before the horse). Semi chisel for the CS 590. Reasons: I'm still learning and can be a dumb @ss. Not in a drinking beer while bucking logs kind of way, just ignorance. It's much more forgiving of dirty wood. Can go several tanks of fuel before needing a touch up (planning on touching it up every tank or at least every other tank).

For the limbing Dolmar/other limbing saw/Homelite, I'll use another semi chisel or possibly a "anti-kickback" chain.

I'm getting all giddy learning all this new stuff!! I don't need to go to any other sites, all the info I need about chainsaws/felling is right here.

About the time you think you are getting a handle on it, something new will arise. Take your time, have a plan, but be prepared for things to change during the process without notice.

Holy crap! How in the hell did they cut that down!? Is that dude with the yellow hat standing on the bottom cut? Wonder if my Homelite could buck that thing.

00Z0Z_bVJa9k7Yf0H_600x450.jpg

Now this is what I need. $400 on CL. Looks like an antique though.

If that runs, it is worth 400 no doubt. You never know scrounging, lot of scroungers can't handle the really big stuff, whereas if ya gots a big saw.....

If that runs, it is worth 400 no doubt. You never know scrounging, lot of scroungers can't handle the really big stuff, whereas if ya gots a big saw.....

That thing is worth $400? Looks about 10 years old. Probably seen hard use too. How are you able to determine worth on sight? It's a 030AV BTW.

If that's an 030, then that bar is way too big for that saw. Acres shows that to be a 45cc saw with a max recommended bar length of 20". :eek:

:buttkick:

That thing is worth $400? Looks about 10 years old. Probably seen hard use too. How are you able to determine worth on sight? It's a 030AV BTW.

Hmm..looks a lot larger than an old 030av..that's a small saw...wonder if the sellers description is correct? I'll let the stihl heads chime in, they can tell looking at the pic

OK, got the ad, top cover def says 030av..weirdness..if so, no, not worth 400. Have no idea why anyone would slap such a huge bar on a small saw, doesn't make any sense other than...makes no sense. Only bar they had maybe.

Wow. 6 page thread in a day? That could be a record but probably not.
How to become a chainsaw guru: Use em', work on em', read about 'em and #1 learn from and observe people who know what they are doing. Do all that and you are just getting started.

OK, got the ad, top cover def says 030av..weirdness..if so, no, not worth 400. Have no idea why anyone would slap such a huge bar on a small saw, doesn't make any sense other than...makes no sense. Only bar they had maybe.

How the hell did you get the ad!? You work for the NSA?

Wow. 6 page thread in a day? That could be a record but probably not.
How to become a chainsaw guru: Use em', work on em', read about 'em and #1 learn from and observe people who know what they are doing. Do all that and you are just getting started.

Well, most of the posts are my own. I ask a ton of questions. No question is a stupid question until I'm in the room.

Sounds like good advice. I will do as you say. Thanks

For me it started as a young child watching old timber fallers cut firewood.
Welcome to Arboristsite. I have yet to find a better place online.

How the hell did you get the ad!? You work for the NSA?

No, just been on the web since 95 and learned to search effectively. This is a simple trick to search a domain

030av site:craigslist.org

A LOT of guys here are collectors and do the same thing, and buy saws all over the country, so if you ever find a real "you suck"! deal, which means you got something so good and cheap that everyone goes you suck! keep it to yourself until saw is in hand, THEN you can post about it..hahahaha!

The big bar had me faked out initially. If it had been a legit large stihl, with the bar and running well, it would have been worth 400 bucks probably. You never know, still a lot of deals out there, just have to be patient on them. I got my poulan 245a for a used wildthing price in a pawnshop and had to wait several days until I had that meager amount, thought someone would see it and snatch it up. It was mixed in with the cheap saws.

No, just been on the web since 95 and learned to search effectively. This is a simple trick to search a domain

030av site:craigslist.org

A LOT of guys here are collectors and do the same thing, and buy saws all over the country, so if you ever find a real "you suck"! deal, which means you got something so good and cheap that everyone goes you suck! keep it to yourself until saw is in hand, THEN you can post about it..hahahaha!

The big bar had me faked out initially. If it had been a legit large stihl, with the bar and running well, it would have been worth 400 bucks probably. You never know, still a lot of deals out there, just have to be patient on them. I got my poulan 245a for a used wildthing price in a pawnshop and had to wait several days until I had that meager amount, thought someone would see it and snatch it up. It was mixed in with the cheap saws.

Nice, didn't know that domain search tip. Now I'm really feeling stupid. Know nothing about chainsaws, felling, bucking, and the internet evidently.

Kind of leery about buying a used saw though. I don't know enough about them to tell if it's in decent shape or on its last leg.

Latest posts

Back