How To Become A Chainsaw Guru?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, didn't know that domain search tip. Now I'm really feeling stupid. Know nothing about chainsaws, felling, bucking, and the internet evidently.

Kind of leery about buying a used saw though. I don't know enough about them to tell if it's in decent shape or on its last leg.

A lot of mine are just junkers, given to me or maybe I paid ten bucks or something. Frequently, if the top end isn't toasted, they only need new fuel lines and filter, carb cleaned, to make runners. Fixed a bunch, still got heaps to go, along with trimmers and blowers, etc. Sometimes pick up mowers as well. I work on that stuff when I don't have any other work to do mostly, just putz at it. Adds up though, doesn't take long to accumulate runners. Get enough runners, you can sell or barter your way upscale in quality.

A lot of people are lazy plus cheap, no maintenance, use the cheapest ethanol contaminated gas they can get, let the machine sit, go to yank it, no workee. Duh. They take it to some shop, they give them a sticker shock price to fix it, they toss the saw or sell it cheap, go buy another saw.

You can take advantage of that.

For $400, you could probably find a decent 044 or an 056 Mag.

I see the 044 is 70cc. That may be over kill for my needs. Also, I didn't think Stihl would be a good option for my desired end state. I want to become a chainsaw guru! Heard parts are more expensive for Stihls. They probably require special tools to work on them too just like some cars.

A lot of people are lazy plus cheap, no maintenance, use the cheapest ethanol contaminated gas they can get, let the machine sit, go to yank it, no workee. Duh. They take it to some shop, they give them a sticker shock price to fix it, they toss the saw or sell it cheap, go buy another saw.

You can take advantage of that.

Damn, you just described me. :(

Damn, you just described me. :(

Oh just pick some up and get your hands dirty. I never did nuthin to a saw other than file a chain before I joined here. First tip, don't trust any fuel or bar oil in a saw you just got, dump it. rinse out both tanks with fresh mix good. clean the saw as you take it apart, air compressors with a blow off nozzle are the tool of choice there. Blow off all the crud, then maybe a brush and rags, etc.

Carbs, no air compressor, just carb spray and the little wand. Just pay attention as you take them apart, gasket and diaphragm placement is rather important. Keep the two needle jets in order, one is high, the other low, note the turns in to lightly seated, sometimes the previous owners had dorked with them though, so get the correct factory settings, typically one turn out on both, BUT, this can vary. Walbro and zama, the two you will see the most of, have writeups that cover every model carb they sell. You will also see how to do the metering level adjustment there (if required, most are good that I have seen)

Really, dirty carbs/fuel system are something like 90% (whatever, a large percentage) of two stroke small engine problems, as long as the tool hasn't been straight gassed.

Anywho, back to work, well, play for me today, got all my farm work done by yesterday. Building a round bale dog house, have to go out and try to figure out how to saw the hole out....I know not to use a chainsaw.....think I will try my biodrive pole saw...

I would avoid the 6.0, but that's just me. Too many injector, head gasket, EGR problems... They can be made to be reliable, but it's pretty expensive to upgrade all the common problems on them... 7.3 PS is a good engine and makes decent power, but not like the new trucks. 12 valves are great engines and easy to work on, but I prefer the Common Rail... The older Cummins are just too damn loud for my taste. My '06 Cummins Ram has been very reliable, and has plenty of power for anything I need to do. Even the older 7.3 IDI diesels in 88-94 Fords were pretty strong runners with a turbo and the pump turned up.

Clint, you are are right on all points. My mentioning the 6.0 is purely IF you can steal one because it hasn't been "made reliable". If they haven't been run hard or heavy they last. loadem up and they are for poop.

Oh just pick some up and get your hands dirty. I never did nuthin to a saw other than file a chain before I joined here. First tip, don't trust any fuel or bar oil in a saw you just got, dump it. rinse out both tanks with fresh mix good. clean the saw as you take it apart, air compressors with a blow off nozzle are the tool of choice there. Blow off all the crud, then maybe a brush and rags, etc.

Carbs, no air compressor, just carb spray and the little wand. Just pay attention as you take them apart, gasket and diaphragm placement is rather important. Keep the two needle jets in order, one is high, the other low, note the turns in to lightly seated, sometimes the previous owners had dorked with them though, so get the correct factory settings, typically one turn out on both, BUT, this can vary. Walbro and zama, the two you will see the most of, have writeups that cover every model carb they sell. You will also see how to do the metering level adjustment there (if required, most are good that I have seen)

Really, dirty carbs/fuel system are something like 90% (whatever, a large percentage) of two stroke small engine problems, as long as the tool hasn't been straight gassed
Anywho, back to work, well, play for me today, got all my farm work done by yesterday. Building a round bale dog house, have to go out and try to figure out how to saw the hole out....I know not to use a chainsaw.....think I will try my biodrive pole saw...

You think it's worth it to check if there's varnish or whatever it's called in my Homelite? Or if it's running then don't bother?

I always wanted to work/live on a farm. Growing up in Hawaii kept me sheltered from having to cut and burn wood.

You think it's worth it to check if there's varnish or whatever it's called in my Homelite? Or if it's running then don't bother?

I always wanted to work/live on a farm. Growing up in Hawaii kept me sheltered from having to cut and burn wood.

If it is running well, don't bother. If you want to clean it and give it new fuel line and filter for a rainy day project, fine, won't hurt. Well, shouldn't anyway...ha!

Got half the hole cut out in the bale, gave in and used a chainsaw. Still tedious. I'll break out a bigger saw and run a three foot bar tomorrow.

If I had grown up in Hawaii, I wouldn't use wood heat either, I would use wahini heat...just sayin...

If it is running well, don't bother. If you want to clean it and give it new fuel line and filter for a rainy day project, fine, won't hurt. Well, shouldn't anyway...ha!

Got half the hole cut out in the bale, gave in and used a chainsaw. Still tedious. I'll break out a bigger saw and run a three foot bar tomorrow.

If I had grown up in Hawaii, I wouldn't use wood heat either, I would use wahini heat...just sayin...

I already did the fuel line and filter if what you're talking about is the line that goes into the tank. I kind of feel like taking it apart right now. Hope I don't mess it up permanently.

Why, if you don't mind my asking, are you building a dog house out of hay?

Wahine, haven't heard that word in a while lol.

Another thing, is my Homelite 33cc strong enough to noodle a half of a tree fork? That's probably not the correct term for it, it's where a tree branches out from the main trunk. Someone cut it in half horizontally and it's lying along the sidewalk down the street from my house. There's also a pretty big stump there but not sure my saw can handle that. I only have a 16" bar and it's probably the standard anti-kickback chain.

Interesting, the Homelite manual says the chain type is a Low Profile Full Skip Tooth. That kind of goes against what I thought a full skip chain's purpose would be. Thought it would be more for long bars and greater chip clearing ability. Putting it on a weak saw with a short bar seems like an exercise if futility.

Anyway, going to start on my quest to become a chainsaw pro. I'm going to take apart the Homelite. Hope you guys can help me put it back together if I screw up.

You can probably cut that branch up, if ya want to do it, I'd say do it before you take the saw apart. I don't think I would like beating on the saw cutting the stump up though.

Actually..I think it would be better for you to take another saw, start with a repair. See if you can find a junker that needs some work.

Poulans are easy to work on, cheap, parts all over.

doghouse...just because. My boss saw it in farm show magazine, thought it was cool, we have round bales so I am giving it a shot. Supposedly a bit better for the doggies both winter and summer, insulation all around.

The much easier way is regular small square bales and just do creative stacking.

You can probably cut that branch up, if ya want to do it, I'd say do it before you take the saw apart. I don't think I would like beating on the saw cutting the stump up though.

Actually..I think it would be better for you to take another saw, start with a repair. See if you can find a junker that needs some work.

Poulans are easy to work on, cheap, parts all over.

doghouse...just because. My boss saw it in farm show magazine, thought it was cool, we have round bales so I am giving it a shot. Supposedly a bit better for the doggies both winter and summer, insulation all around.

The much easier way is regular small square bales and just do creative stacking.

Okay, going to knock on their door tomorrow and ask permission. Don't see why they would say no.

I saw a Poulan or something similar on CL. Chain brake wasn't working so figured that would be too major. Or is it?

What kind of dogs? Used to have American Bulldogs, hence my name. Got them from AL and TX but heard they are popular in GA. Known as good farm dogs

Okay, going to knock on their door tomorrow and ask permission. Don't see why they would say no.

I saw a Poulan or something similar on CL. Chain brake wasn't working so figured that would be too major. Or is it?

What kind of dogs? Used to have American Bulldogs, hence my name. Got them from AL and TX but heard they are popular in GA. Known as good farm dogs

Have various rescue dogs. Two labs, a dalmatian ozzie shephard cross, border collie (she is the one getting the bale house), little mutt boy dog, near as we can figger some whippet/pit bull/something else, he's wicked fast, real fast, a Jacqueline Russel (my cutting buddy) and a cairn terrier something else, the pygmy swamp wookie. Then a buncha rescue cats as well.

Ya, you could say bulldogs are popular in Jawjah, or should I say "dawgs"...hahahaha!

Chain brake, no not hard, just keep accumulating small cheap poulans and scrounge your own repair parts. Depending on the model, 50 in good shape nothing broken, so take some off for the brake.

Awesome, the saw still works after messing with it. It does however seem to almost bog down at full throttle. Saw a video on You Tube and the guy said the saw should "four stroke" at WOT. I was under the impression four stroking means the saw should almost sound like a diesel truck at hard throttle. It shouldn't be a continuous, even tone too. Hope this makes sense. Anyway, anyone know what I messed up?

My chain was turning at idle. First thought the chain was too tight and just ran it like that. Found this site and actually read the manual after owning the saw for over 4 years and it said to turn the T screw. I turned it and it's no longer turning the chain. The bogging issue at full throttle doesn't sound like it's at full strength though.

Oh one more thing. looking at Dolmar to figure out why they're so nice. I don't really get it. I think they're owned by Makita which supposedly makes great power tools. I kind of like owning great bargain items that few know about that can also keep up with more well known products.

Have various rescue dogs. Two labs, a dalmatian ozzie shephard cross, border collie (she is the one getting the bale house), little mutt boy dog, near as we can figger some whippet/pit bull/something else, he's wicked fast, real fast, a Jacqueline Russel (my cutting buddy) and a cairn terrier something else, the pygmy swamp wookie. Then a buncha rescue cats as well.

Ya, you could say bulldogs are popular in Jawjah, or should I say "dawgs"...hahahaha!

Chain brake, no not hard, just keep accumulating small cheap poulans and scrounge your own repair parts. Depending on the model, 50 in good shape nothing broken, so take some off for the brake.

I had a Whippet cross. Little black thing. That dude was fast as hell! When he started to run he literally became a black blur. Man I wish I was excited to exercise as a dog.

Have an American Staffordshire Terrier rescue dog now. The bastards at the shelter suckered me. They didn't tell me this dude is retarded. He's super high energy. He's a little less than 2 years old. Tries to hide his bones and chew toys in between couch cushions. Feel like strangling him everyday.

Sounds good. I'll see if it's for sale.

You are cast outta sterner stuff, you have made the grade on your own, it is an honor that such as you find something useful in my rambling.
You are cast outta sterner stuff, you have made the grade on your own, it is an honor that such as you find something useful in my rambling.
thank ya sir..........but remember this, with out those that came before us we would be lost.

Latest posts

Back