Choosing a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam ernst

Reaction score
We want to replace our cherry tree that died this year. I'd like to plant a non-fruit tree this time and a tree that doesn't have large seed pods to clean up. We want something that won't grow over 12-15 feet high and won't get more than 8-10 feet wide (probably a miniature). What variety of tree would you recommend for eastern Colorado that would be hardy?

Sorry Pam all trees fruit, some less than others though. Have you check with your local nuseries?

Something in a small native would fit your request. What zone are you in?

What you want to look for is a cultivar that has been selected for being seedless, these are usualy male trees of dioeciuse (sp?) species.

then you eant a small species or a dwarf cultivar. Whwn you start looking at dwarf trees, the cost jumps. This is because it takes so much more itme to grow them to a size the public wants to look at them.

Some trees that have seedles CVS are;
white and green ash
honey locust
amure cork

I think the first two have dwqrf CVS too.

Small tree selection - Colorado

I am in Beaverton Oregon.

A tree in this area that closely resembles your description is the Japanese Snowbell.

Is it zoned in garden books for your area.

Colorado trees work here. Maybe Japan trees that work in Oregon will work there.

Find a good picture of the J. Snowbell first. Nursery trees look shaggy sometimes. But a year or two in the ground provides a nice tree.

Deciduous, medium leaves. Has tiny fruits - 1/4 to 1/2 inch - not colorful, but interesting.

Variety 'Pink Chimes' has pink flowers.

Styrax Japonica.

It can exceed the 15' you mentioned, but that may take a decade or 2.

Mario Vaden - Oregon

Latest posts

Back