Christmas decorations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Anyone use their climbing skills to hang some high altitude Christmas lights? I have a 100 foot red oak in my front yard and I'm thinking of going up there with a bunch of lights, electrical tape, etc and making some kind of design up in the high limbs.

The tree is right next to the neighborhood road, so the high lights should be readily visible from the road.

There's a high spot for a TIP and several strong limbs for walking out and stringing lights.

Unfortunately, yes. Forget about the tape though (unless the limbs are really big). Those plastic zip ties (sorry, can never remember their real name) work good to connect the string of lights to the branches.

forgetfulness

beowulf343 said:
Unfortunately, yes. Forget about the tape though (unless the limbs are really big). Those plastic zip ties (sorry, can never remember their real name) work good to connect the string of lights to the branches.

cable ties, tie-ties, alligators

Cable ties ARE wonderful, but I'd think twice about securing something to growing tree branches with them. Unless I were going to remove the lights after the holidays.

def. make sure you remove the zip-ties in the spring.

Might be kind of interesting to try something else though................

Rig a pulley up high, tie off a few long strands of lights, hoist 'em up, spread 'em out at the bottom, now the thing looks like a x-mas tree! (only at night, of course) pretty cool effect though.

G

Kate Butler said:
Cable ties ARE wonderful, but I'd think twice about securing something to growing tree branches with them. Unless I were going to remove the lights after the holidays.
Good point. Our lights do come down after the holidays-they get too beat up in the trees to stay there all year around.

twistees

why not use those little wire twistees that you get with trash bags?

Hung some cool balls in a white oak. Each ball has 100 flashing lights. Got paid bigtime. (Well, my wife liked them.)

Latest posts

Back