Christmas Greetings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spongemark

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy saw jocks from Sultan WA. I just bought an old Pioneer Farmsaw II off Craigslist from some guy living in his car. I really wasn't in the market for an orphan saw but hey, it's Christmas and who knows, it might be a good investment. The Craftsman was only 40$, that's what I originally wanted.

Attachments

• IMG20221224155649.jpg
    IMG20221224155649.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Hello Sponge,

I've just joined the ArboristSite to help out a friend with his Poulan saw, and saw your own Christmass Introduction regarding your 'new' Pioneer Farmsaw II. Own one myself, thought I'd reply to your introduction post and give you and others my thoughts on this tough easy-to-work-on saw.

My Dad bought our Farmsaw II new back in '86, I was just on the horizon then. Beginning in the early 90's we started heating exclusively with firewood every Winter, about 5 face chords every year, and the Farmsaw is the saw that did it, year in year out. Reliable and so easy to work on, every other saw I take apart just seems difficult in comparison, really nice logical tough design. Made by OMC, same as Johnson/Evinrude/Lawn Boy. It's a big 66cc saw, on the large side, to buy one in the same power bracket nowadays would cost you over ~$700, so in my opinion definitely worth a bit of coin to keep running. Only thing it's needed is a new electronic coil in the 2000's. Also put in a new carb kit, sprocket, Oregon bar and chain, on its 3rd bar now. Handles the 24" Oregon bar real nice, makes cutting stumps and trunks so much easier. I've taken over the wood cutting by now, I find when cold it likes to start by 3 pulls ignition on, then 3 pulls ignition OFF, then ignition on pull fires right up, every time. It's so easy to crank, easier than tiny saws because it has Automatic Decompression, even better than many STIHL saws with a manual button. We've run it on 25:1 oil mix from the beginning as that is what our 'generic' Pioneer manual says, though I hear noises that it actually uses 50:1. On occasion my Dad and I have a small argument about it, but at this point neither of us really feels like ruining a good thing and possibly wrecking it now after almost 40 years.........:^)

Attached a few photos, hope you enjoy. I'm probably biased having grown up with it and knowing it like the back of my hand, but I would have to say it is in pretty nice shape, especially since it isn't even a shelf queen.

So Sponge, needless to say I think you got an Excellent deal! Hope you enjoy my ramble, let me know if you'd like to know anything else. Cheers!~

Bellarmine

Attachments

• 5471-Pioneer FarmSaw II Clutch.jpg
    5471-Pioneer FarmSaw II Clutch.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5475-.jpg
    5475-.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5476-.jpg
    5476-.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 0
Back