Circulator pump only runs when house calls for heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lumberchukk

lumberchukk

ArboristSite Lurker
Aquastat

If you guys that are running the pump off a stat are worried about overheating the boiler why not use an aquastat as a high limit so if the water jacket gets too hot the pump will kick on. Personally i run the pump off an aquastat so that if there is hot water in the jacket the pump runs. Sure i may overheat the house some, but that's wood for ya.

tanker

tanker

ArboristSite Operative
Hi folks,

Just wanted to get people opinion on a trail setup I have. - I have a
new Central Boiler, 6048. 130' ft from the house. My pump is located
inside the house, with no problems. First hooked it up about 20 days
ago, and ran it just to make sure everything worked ok before it gets
cold. Ran it for about 15 days just for hot water, with the pumps
running all the time like the manual says. The temp stayed exactly
where it should of, between 175 and 185, and burned 2 or three pieces
of wood per day, (took awile to get a good coal base).

We decided to try running the circulator pumps only when the house
calls for heat, hooked up the pumps to only turn on when house calls
for heat. It works, Burns considerably less wood. The temp does get
to about 198 at the highest that I've seen.

Any thoughts on this?,

I understand with a slow burning fire I have more creasote buildup,
Which I notice on the front lower of the boiler.

I understand cold weather issues, worrying about the pipes freezing
near boiler, However if it's cold outside, the water would be running
more often, keeping it from bursting.

I understand that it will boil @ 212, but havent come close to that
yet.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and thoughs people might have

Thanks
198 degrees is awful close to the snap disc tripping.

ktm rider

ktm rider

ArboristSite Guru
3.Starting them on and off "mite" take out your pump faster.

This is true. I work in a Powerhouse for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. We run the boilers, chillers, to keep the Penitentiary warm or cool.

We run Taco pumps, very large ones but I asked the Taco rep about my little taco 07 pump i use at home and he said it would last much longer if I wired it to run continually. It would only cost a $2-$4 a month put will last much longer...

iCreek

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
We run Taco pumps, very large ones but I asked the Taco rep about my little taco 07 pump i use at home and he said it would last much longer if I wired it to run continually. It would only cost a $2-$4 a month put will last much longer...

Now this makes me want to try it... My family and friends will think I'm nuts, but it's one jumper wire on a relay at the stove. Oh, so tempting !!!

plus I will be guaranteed hot water at my water to water plate exchanger for sure...

Last edited:
HardyOWB

HardyOWB

ArboristSite Lurker
:cheers: I will be giving it a try as well. Mine is set up to kick the pump on and off when the termostat turns the hot air furnace on. I have had it set up this way for the last 2 years, and that is how the dealer recommended it. I will be trying the continuous method this winter.

LTREES

LTREES

ArboristSite Operative
:cheers: I will be giving it a try as well. Mine is set up to kick the pump on and off when the termostat turns the hot air furnace on. I have had it set up this way for the last 2 years, and that is how the dealer recommended it. I will be trying the continuous method this winter.

How hot did the water temp get in the OWB the past 2 years? Or is this just a precaution?

Guitarguy139

Guitarguy139

So this is resurrecting an old thread but it was the only one that came up when I was researching my plans. For anyone still looking to do this but keep your pump running I installed a differential bypass valve at my boiler for two of my buildings. A solenoid valve is powered by 3 relays for each device that can call for heat. Works like a charm! Has helped out alot with how much wood I use.