clam truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldugly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a used, old clam truck with a prentice loader I need to get rid of, 1968 Mack, flatbed, 20' bed, loader is in good shape, the truck could use some work, mostly batteries, and front end. Engine runs great, and just put a rebuilt hydraulic pump on clam unit. I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but if not, no harm iintended. Will consider trade for chip truck or bucket.
Location is central MN.

I had taken a few pics awhile back, I will see if I can find them again, I can tell you basically, it is ugly, and old, (we were a good pair for awhile). The clam will pick up around 2000 lbs. I originally bought it to load a small tub grinder, which turned out to be junk. After I lost my shirt on the grinder, the clam truck has sat mostly idle. I have 6000 in it. I am open to just about any offer. The truck does need work, the front end seems to shake alot on the road, but the engine runs excellent, and the loader works well.

I really don't have the time to deliver it, and 1000 dolars won't quite get it. I got close to that in the hydraulic pump. I guess this is my fault when I said I would consider almost any offer. I need to get 3500. I tried for a couple of hours to upload the pics I have, and to no avail. I will try again tonight. I can get them to upload into my cp, but cannot attach them to the post. I'm not great on a computer, so please be patient with me.:bang:

Is anyone in New England interested in the truck. I'm interested in the loader. Maybe we could split it. Would it drive that far? What type of engine, axles and transmission does it have? Thanks

Transmission is a 4x5 - 18 speed manual engine is a straight six (I am not sure the size, but several people have told me it is a 200 horse). As far as making it there, if someone was interested in it, there is a person I can take it to about the front end shake, to see exactly what it needs. It may be a simple fix, as it started when I replaced one of the front tires. Other than that I cannot see why it would be a problem. Just alot of work.

My location is central Mn ..... not quite the end of the earth,,,,but you can see it from here.

oldugly said:
Transmission is a 4x5 - 18 speed manual engine is a straight six (I am not sure the size, but several people have told me it is a 200 horse). As far as making it there, if someone was interested in it, there is a person I can take it to about the front end shake, to see exactly what it needs. It may be a simple fix, as it started when I replaced one of the front tires. Other than that I cannot see why it would be a problem. Just alot of work.

If the front end started to shimmy after the front tire was replaced it would be my guess that you have bias ply tires on that dude. "Wonderful" thing about bias ply tires is that you MUST (!!!) change all the tires that are on the same axle as the defective tire. It has to do with how they wear. If you don't do this, the new tire actually causes the old tire (or tires) to blow. I've actually learned this one from experience if anyone's wondering. So to recap:
If you change the passenger front, you MUST change the drivers front. If you change the outside rear on the passenger side of a dually axle, you MUST replace all four tires on that axle. And so on and so on. We changed one tire on our chipper on the way home from Florida few years back. Only to have the other tire blow out 50 miles down the road. The cap came right off. Something to check out....

Look like Bud type wheels. If you dont get the wedges and bolts tightened down right, the rim wont run true to the hub, I.E. Wobble.

Easy to check, jack up the front end, take a long handled sledge, or something similar and set it standing next to the tire, almost touching, and spin the tire. If its not true it will knock the handle over.

Any tire shop that abides by the law wont put bias ply on a steer axle, as its against the law. Assuming your truck is above 26,000#.

Update on repairs.

I had my mechanics look over everything, and figure out what it needed to be drivable accross country. Their estimate included four tires in the rear, which I am sure could be purchased later, and probably for a better price somewhere else, a driver's side front tire, mirror, and tailight repair. They fixed the passenger side tire, (which was not placed on quite straight, and could acount for the front end shake) batteries, etc. They said it was drivable. The one front tire and the taillights, and mirror would be the only things I would be concerned about to travel with it. But that's just me. For you people that inquired about taking it cross country, I figured I would update you on what it would need.

Spring Special

Gys Spring is getting closer, I am sure one of you folks could use this lovely work of engineering. I am considering keeping it, but would rather sell it and reinvest the money in my other vehicles.

tires are 10x200 the rear is a tandem axle, and the gvw is 24,280 empty. The truck is in an auction right now, and I will defintely let you know if it does not sell for what I need. I need 3500 for the truck, at that I am taking a little over 2000 loss from what I bought it for last year, and what I have put into it since.

Back