Classic neighbors tree hanging over my yard deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to comment but after looking at jsdogs avatar I forgot what I was going to say:hmm3grin2orange:

Need to find a larger picture like that for the shop!

Your best bet is talk to your neighbor, but don't go with a chip on your shoulder.

I had a similar situation only with a half dozen white pine. I didn't want the trees gone, just wanted to trim the bottoms up for a better air flow since my shed is directly underneath. I mentioned taking the height up to 15 feet. Not only did I get the okay, but he was pleased that I thought to ask.

On the other side of the coin, I had a friend who had a tree topped during a wind storm which took out part of a chainlink fence at the back of the property. The part of the tree that remained was leaning heavily over her neighbors shed and if it were to fall would take out the shed and the chainlink fence it was next to.

I was over at her house partaking in some really good bbq and I mentioned the tree. She in turn voiced her concern but also mentioned it would cost too much to hire someone to come in and remove the tree. My return comment was I would be back later in the week to fell the remainder of the tree (still a good 40 feet tall) and left it at that.

I guess most people tend to just make offers and never follow through because my friend didn't expect me to do what I did. I showed up as I said, armed with a chainsaw, b&c oil, fuel mix, felling wedges, and a rope to help guide the tree where I needed it to go. Anyway, my friend was asleep at the time, but I just went ahead and tied off the tree and felled it back into her yard where I proceeded to limb n buck it. When I was through, and in the process of stacking all the wood, she comes out in her night cloths still wiping the sleep from her eyes. She was surprised I had followed through.

Her neighbor who had been watching told her she should have watched because "that is the way a professional fells a tree." Well, truth be told, I am not a professional but I do have plenty of experience. Total cost for her $0! She still thanks me every time they have a wind or ice storm for what i did. Anyway, my point is, it is entirely possible your neighbor is just as concerned about the tree as you are but likely doesn't have the skill or tools required to take it down.

If that's the case, either split the cost of the removal or, if you have the skills, take the tree down with your neighbors consent and if you have a wood stove, IWB, or OWB, take the wood for that.

Tree overhanging boundary

Just want to inform folk that not all states allow removal of neighboring tree parts crossing a boundary. Here in Louisiana you only have a right to petition your neighbor to trim his tree for a reasonable reason. No provisions for 'self help' or cutting without talking to neighbor. Implicit in all maintaining the space of a boundary ordinances is the obligation to timely action. If one neglects to police a boundary for twenty years, and then decides the third of the crossing tree is suddenly intolerable, one has not been reasonable. That is the clause "Not harm the tree." Can you say you haven't harmed a tree you just removed half of its mass for a boundary? Really? Your problem is inherited. Your previous owner did not timely trim, and you 'purchased' his decision to give the tree "sqatter's rights over your airspace. That is how his lawyer would see you trimming to the property line, if he was any good...

Just want to inform folk that not all states allow removal of neighboring tree parts crossing a boundary. Here in Louisiana you only have a right to petition your neighbor to trim his tree for a reasonable reason. No provisions for 'self help' or cutting without talking to neighbor. Implicit in all maintaining the space of a boundary ordinances is the obligation to timely action. If one neglects to police a boundary for twenty years, and then decides the third of the crossing tree is suddenly intolerable, one has not been reasonable. That is the clause "Not harm the tree." Can you say you haven't harmed a tree you just removed half of its mass for a boundary? Really? Your problem is inherited. Your previous owner did not timely trim, and you 'purchased' his decision to give the tree "sqatter's rights over your airspace. That is how his lawyer would see you trimming to the property line, if he was any good...

Interesting info.

I talked to the neighbor this past weekend and they gave me permission to cut down anything hanging over the fence. They also gave me permission to drop the whole tree if I wanted to. It's an older couple and from what it sounded like to me, they are tired of constantly cleaning up after the tree. I'm definitely going to get a quote on pruning it back at least on my side of the fence and if its not too much I may make a friendly gesture and have the whole thing pruned to help both of us out.

Latest posts

Back