Cleaning Old Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How does everyone go about cleaning their old saws? I need specific chemicals and specific procedures you have found that work. I have a couple of old beauties and want to shine them up without ruining them.

What do you use on;
The paint?
Brass?
Steel?
Copper?

Etc etc etc.....

Be specific

Thanks!

On junk that's hardened onto my bars, I've used a bit of turpentine. I scrub it, if needed, and after the turpentine has softened it a bit, with one of those plastic dishwashing scrubber pads. I have also gently used a putty knife to loosen extra-tough stuff.

On the plastic and metal body parts, after getting advice here on the forum, I've begun using Simple Green. Again, sometimes the plastic scrubber is needed. I rinse with water [I use a spray bottle]. I do this out in the sun, let it all dry and am careful not to get anything into the muffler, etc.

So far, these two methods are cleaning up 98% of the gunk. Once cleaned up, I have found that I can clean up new stuff quickly if I just do it every few tanks of gas. I mean to, but then I sometimes just don't get to it. On your old saws, where stuff may've been hardened on for years, might take you a number of times resoaking and scrubbing off a bit at a time. That was the case for me on one saw. Must've taken me four or five hours on that one.

What aboutcleaning the paint? I have used mild stuff on it like dawn dish liquid and even wd-40. t all seems to take the paint off with it. I am especilly interested in hearing what you use on old paint. I am talking saws produced pre 1960.

I agree that Simple Green is good stuff for removing grease and grime. Not sure what would be good on paint without removing it. Seems like if mild dish detergent takes the paint off it might be time for new paint. Good luck with your search for info.:cheers:

Be carefull with that MCS....

It might be worth more unmolested than all spit shined.;)

Light dish soap + water with a toothbrush, the soft kind ment for people with bad teeth. Go easy on the letters.

Be carefull with that MCS....

It might be worth more unmolested than all spit shined.;)

Light dish soap + water with a toothbrush, the soft kind ment for people with bad teeth. Go easy on the letters.

Thanks for the tip.

I think I will be having my old Da-211 powder coated back to original colors though. The MCS will stay in my collection for a long time, most likely untouched besides a tune-up.

All i ever use is Castrol SuperClean. I soak the saw, use a parts scrubber to get the bad spots, let it soak for about five minutes then hose it off real well. It makes old saws look like new. Just dont leave it on too long since it will fade the plastics out. If the plastic is faded i use some plastic polish on it to bring it back to life or Colorback if its painted metal.

Just my two cents worth

I use "Purple Power" to clean everything except engine related parts. It works great on the cases (plastic or aluminum). For engines and such I use varsol or kerosene in a parts bin with a brush. The purple power works excellent at full strength, but I usually dilute it with 25% water.

Last edited:
mild solvent to get rid of the grease, then "Mother's" aluminum wheel polish works great on metal, paint, and plastic. Cleaned up my Dolmar 112 quite nicely today; looks like new! The abrasive in the paste is very mild, but works great with brown c-fold "NIBROC"-type paper towels. Theres just enough texture to the paper, and abrasive in the polish to work awesome on a saw. very little elbow grease needed.

I use "Purple Power" to clean everything except engine related parts. It works great on the cases (plastic or aluminum). For engines and such I use varsol or kerosene in a parts bin with a brush. The purple power works excellent at full strength, but I usually dilute it with 25% water.

Careful.. Purple power is generic Castrol Super Clean... At full strength or even 25% dilute it will rip the surface off almost any paint or plastic, and magnesium... Even at 4:1 it will dissolve grease and pitch almost immediately.

Dilute some simple green and you should have no problems ... Anything you use is going to mess the paint up IF it is already peeling or something.

As noted earlier today on another site as well as here diesel will work well and still leave a protective oil residue on quick cleanups. The best method is disassembly and cleaning part by part with water and a mild soap. As for the specific brand that deopends on what is available in the area. Here a good Fels Naptha solution is good but not as mild as others

Bill

Back