Climbing and Felling a Giant Oak Tree in Front Yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredd

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have not posted much lately but decided to share a recent experience with taking down a giant oak tree in my front yard. My neighbor and I did the work ourselves. I only did the ground work and narrated the video camera. I'm sure we probably did not do everything perfectly, but we got it down safely. The tree had been dying for several years after the 2008 drought, and last summer the whole upper half dried up. Some of it overhangs my house.

We decided to fell the 70 foot stem uphill in a small landing area that would not cause property damage. We used a 200 ft rope attached to the van and two other ropes to keep it from going left or right of target. Love when a job goes as planned.

Climbing and Cutting the tree:

Felling the tree:

I have to say it, I don't understand the lack of chaps. So many videos get posted without proper safety precautions and all it takes is one time.

I have not posted much lately but decided to share a recent experience with taking down a giant oak tree in my front yard. My neighbor and I did the work ourselves. I only did the ground work and narrated the video camera. I'm sure we probably did not do everything perfectly, but we got it down safely. The tree had been dying for several years after the 2008 drought, and last summer the whole upper half dried up. Some of it overhangs my house.

We decided to fell the 70 foot stem uphill in a small landing area that would not cause property damage. We used a 200 ft rope attached to the van and two other ropes to keep it from going left or right of target. Love when a job goes as planned.

Climbing and Cutting the tree:

Felling the tree:

That 200t is a Lil on the lean side

nicely done. You need a full wrap on that thing if you are going to be going back and forth that much though ;)

Looks like a clean job to me.

Thanks for the comments guys. We only do this occasionally as a hobby, mostly for family and friends, so our equipment and experience is limited. I'll richen up the 200t. The big saw is a 372xp, modded by Terry Landrum and used 32 inch bar with skip tooth chain.

Oh, to be young again. My back and shoulders ache just watching this. Great job!

Back