climbing gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponch37300

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a harness and rope with accender on it, it's a full body from when I did my steep roof. I know this isn't what the pros use since the lanyard hooks onto the back but it's what I have. I am cutting down a tree in my back yard and have a couple of the main branches down but looking into some new or used gear to make things a little safer. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now so looking at my options for the basics.

I think that a set of climbing spikes would really help. I was up in the tree today in my tennis shoes and slipped and got some road rash on my arms and chest. I was also wondering if there is a way to tie a rope to make a climbing belt? Is there an place to buy economical climbing equipment. I don't mind spending money on quality equipment, especially for safety but this is for something I will only use once or twice so don't want to spend a fortune. If anybody knows where to get some climbing gear for a homeowner that won't be using it that often?

Ponch, I want to strongly encourage you to get a professional to take your tree down before you get seriously hurt. It will probably cost you less than the equipment you will need to safely do it yourself. Equipment that you admit will be used only once or twice.

Sylvia

Thank you for the concern Sylvia. I do have some experience cutting trees down and I do take safety pretty seriously, that is why I am looking into some climbing gear. I would love to be able to pay someone to come cut the tree down but the prices are way more than climbing gear. I'm going to look for a pair of gaffs to help climb.

I would follow Sylvia's advice but since you're posting here I'm assuming that you won't.

So to get started you will need, at the minimum, a saddle, climbing rope, carabiner, a flip line and a copy of The Tree Climbers Companion. Once you've amassed that collection of gear, and have read the book several times, then you'll be able to properly enter the canopy. Ebay has plenty of used tree climbing gear if money is a real problem.

I have a harness and rope with accender on it, it's a full body from when I did my steep roof. I know this isn't what the pros use since the lanyard hooks onto the back but it's what I have. I am cutting down a tree in my back yard and have a couple of the main branches down but looking into some new or used gear to make things a little safer. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now so looking at my options for the basics.

I think that a set of climbing spikes would really help. I was up in the tree today in my tennis shoes and slipped and got some road rash on my arms and chest. I was also wondering if there is a way to tie a rope to make a climbing belt? Is there an place to buy economical climbing equipment. I don't mind spending money on quality equipment, especially for safety but this is for something I will only use once or twice so don't want to spend a fortune. If anybody knows where to get some climbing gear for a homeowner that won't be using it that often?

From your post, sounds like you are committed to this vs getting professional to help out.. so..

I have a body harness, but do not use it for tree work. It was not designed for that, do not use it for that, it will not work properly. It will be very unsafe and will not offer the protection, comfort or safety that a proper saddle will give. You don't need a high end saddle, but you do need a proper tree climber saddle. Do not skimp on this part. You will also need a set of climbers, or at least it looks from your comments above that you may. Don't need to get the best here either, Buckinham makes some good climbers and saddle at reasonable price.

Having said that, by the time you get a basic climbing kit from one of the major suppliers (look at the ones on here, as there are a few).. you will be in the $400.00 range. That is without ropes, slings, pulleys.. etc..

Can I ask a question? Why are you climbing the tree to cut it down, do you plan on attempting do do some rigging? If so, lots of additonal equipment/cost, and a huge increase in risk factor.

Might want to post some pictures of what you are doing, folks on here may be able to give you some ideas to assist with not only the climbing aspect but also the actual work involved.

Ebay has plenty of used tree climbing gear if money is a real problem.

Hmm.. I have bought a lot on eBay, but never climbing gear. First to use commercially it has a date stamped on it, beyond which you can not use. Secondly, you have no idea how it was used, or taken care of. This is your life you are putting in there, don't cut corners.

Latest posts

Back