Climbing in snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you climb a spar during a snowstorm?

• No, stay home and drink coffee or hot chocalate.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Yeah, get your wimpy butt up that pole!

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Ya, I'd climb it but I'm Canadian, eh.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I'm in the deep south/Northern Australia. This is nonsense.

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
I take it you got hit, huh NE?? Again, I'm here waiting and wishing for it. We did a ash that had fallen on a toyota today and it was 13 with 55mph gusts, so good and cold, but no snow.

Acouple of inches last weekend, acouple more on Thurs, now several more today. It has been around -10C all week with strong winds. You can get used to it here in Canada, but going south sounds good. Climbing in layers helps but it is bulky and heavy. Just remember July and August.

Snow isnt that big of a deal if your spikin and doin removals. It does how ever make clean up a bear. Ya shoulda just called me on this one Justin. Its been in the 50's-60's here all week, I cant believe its January in Colorado. You should have seen the big burly spruce I took down in Denver this week. The brush alone filled up the chip box.

Kenn

You guys climbing in snow and icy weather, ???? you're tough. If it ever got to even 50* you would find me still under the blankets in bed.

I'm not a cold weather fan, but last July when I was sweatin' like a pig, I remember thinking to myself, "I am going to embrace the day I can work in the snow."

I'm loving it, even though I hate the cold. To stay warm, you pick up the pace a little, meaning you get more work done in less time = more money. Cool. Chipping brush is 'no sweat' (literally).

Also, I kinda like the extra challenge of icy, snow-covered limbs, mostly because it's temporary, but also because it sharpens the skills.

TM,
Looked at the pictures and thought about working in those conditions. My conclusion, after some deep thoughts pro and con..... **** that, I'll stay in bed.

Mike Maas said:
No I'm smart enough not to be the boss!
Anyway, no matter how much you think you are the boss, you're not the boss. There's always somebody above you, that's a plain and simple fact, even if you don't know it.

To a large extent, aren't our customers our bosses?

Nevermind our women... ;)

I had a buddy out west years ago that <i>preferred</i> to climb in the snow.&nbsp; The waterfalls were to wet to climb any other time...

Koa Man said:
You guys climbing in snow and icy weather, ???? you're tough. If it ever got to even 50* you would find me still under the blankets in bed.

Just put the longjohns on and get going <G>.

I'm going crazy with this broken foot. I had one job so far this month, helping Gopher with a crane job he got Sean G. to climb on. :cry:

Latest posts

Back