Climbing slow lowering device

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stonewoodiron

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Anyone climbed the rock walls at an indoor facility or large outdoor setup? I was wondering about the pulley system. It automatically keeps your pace during ascent and automatically slowly lowers you. What is this and could it be used in a tree? I’ve only been up a tree with gaffs and a flipline and would like to learn ropes.

Bango Skank

Bango Skank

ArboristSite Operative
Auto belay device.
Usually expensive, and it takes away your ability to control your own descent.
If you really want, you can have a partner belay you with a device. I do that with my kids, niece, and nephews at backyard parties and barbecues.

With SRT you can get it dialed in to tend slack all on its own once there’s a few pounds of rope below you. The Akimbo and RopeRunner gobble up slack with no effort, and hitch based SRT devices take up slack easily too. Especially if you’re on a foot and/or knee ascender anyways.

DdRT is a nice way to start learning. You can do it with just a saddle and a rope.

Out of curiosity, is this just for fun and recreation?
If you’re cutting up there, I strongly urge you to find a company or individual to train you.

Stonewoodiron

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Awesome info! I’m doing this for: fun, pruning and removing trees on property, activities with my kids. I’ve done the ground person belay once many years ago so I know what you mean- would like to use that technique like you do. I had a lineman friend check my gaffs, harness and flipline setup. I double tie in when with a separate lanyard when using the saw. I’m seriously contemplating reaching out to some local tree care companies to see if one of their climbers would want to make extra money through teaching sessions.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Good idea. That knowledge will really go a long ways.
I would recommend one of the devices Bangi mentioned, or the Petzl Zig Zag. Some of these can be used with SRT or DdRT.
lots of videos on YouTube as well. Get a Big Shot to get your throw line placed accurately. (I rigged mine with an archery release). Some good rope, a foot ascender and a good harness, a bunch of carabiners (locking and non locking), a top handle saw, more rope, prusik cord, loop slings, rope retriever, chest harness, portawrap, and a handful of other junk is all you’ll need. In no time at all you’ll have an angry wife and an empty bank account but you can climb any tree you want, and do a fair bit of damage to local houses and cars - maybe even take out a power line or two. It’s a wonderful adventure!
:oops::crazy::crazy2::clap:

Stonewoodiron

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Good idea. That knowledge will really go a long ways.
I would recommend one of the devices Bangi mentioned, or the Petzl Zig Zag. Some of these can be used with SRT or DdRT.
lots of videos on YouTube as well. Get a Big Shot to get your throw line placed accurately. (I rigged mine with an archery release). Some good rope, a foot ascender and a good harness, a bunch of carabiners (locking and non locking), a top handle saw, more rope, prusik cord, loop slings, rope retriever, chest harness, portawrap, and a handful of other junk is all you’ll need. In no time at all you’ll have an angry wife and an empty bank account but you can climb any tree you want, and do a fair bit of damage to local houses and cars - maybe even take out a power line or two. It’s a wonderful adventure!
:oops::crazy::crazy2::clap:
I have quite a bit of that list already. Including empty bank account (we have 3 young kids) and angry wife (we have 3 small kids). Can’t wait to rain down heavy wood chunks from above If I can get the tree to the power line, it would kinda take care of itself, right?! No need to buck ashes!!

Stonewoodiron

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Please don't use the gaffs on trees you are pruning or climbing for fun. Those are only for removals.
Yes. That’s why I need to learn ropes. I only gaff a large cherry which is on its way to being furniture (lost lots of canopy over the past few years during storms) and a poplar that needs to be removed due to rot. I really want to learn how to rope and climb a massive beech in our backyard. It’s my favorite tree and will make a great lofty hangout

Latest posts