Clinton Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clinton turned into Tecumseh and were one of the best at the time. Im not farmilar with their saw engines though, just the 4strokes.

In the sixtys I had a go kart with a Clinton saw engine. Always ran fine, good engines Id say. In the seventys I did some business with a fellow in Mansfield Ohio who claimed to be the original Clintons grandson. The guy had some bread so I didnt doubt him.

Tecumseh folks were pretty smart I'd say. Since about every american saw used there engines. With the exception of west bends. By the way who made Homelites engines and where?

Actually Power Products became Techumseh; Clinton quit selling chainsaws in the 60's, and quit selling engines altogether in the '70's. They were still around, sort-of, as late as 2000, but most of their trade was contract machining and outsource supply for OEM's.

Clinton Chainsaws were a little outdated even in their day, but were certainly competitive with Homelite lower-end models like the WIZ and ZIP. Loud and heavy, but torquey. Their main market was the non-commercial user that didn't require the latest technology, just needed to cut some wood now and then.

Try <a href="http://www.classic-engines.com/eng_cli_01.shtml">this site</a>...

I had a wiz 55 when I was younger. Old gear-drive. Heavy and awkward. Then to top it off they ran the straight pipe out the front, it would bounce off the wood you were cutting and deafen you. Nice to look at, but no fun to run! Thanks for the info eyolf, I'll be checking out the site you sent, Thanks , Bob

arnbobold said:
Tecumseh folks were pretty smart I'd say. Since about every american saw used there engines. With the exception of west bends. By the way who made Homelites engines and where?

Homelite designed and made all their own engines, plants in America. The parent company was Textron, not sure of the exact plant locations. There was also a plant in Canada, Terry Machinery, who made saws to Homelite's specs under contract.

JohnL said:
Homelite designed and made all their own engines, plants in America. The parent company was Textron, not sure of the exact plant locations. There was also a plant in Canada, Terry Machinery, who made saws to Homelite's specs under contract.
Terry Machinery plant was in Pointe-Claire,Montreal suburb.

Then the Homelite is considered an American saw maker, right? So what about Mac's, are they American or from Canada, or both?? This is so sad today. I don't know what happened to the Mac's and the Homelites. They use to be a real good made to last saws. Sure they both had some issues, but small things. The Mac's points would get dirty because they were not under the flywheel, and the Homelite XL-12, would get hot and the fuel would boil. But they were the top of the line for the general american people. But now they have been reduced to a throw away saw, like the new Poulans. I'm just glad I have a few old well made American saws. I even have some great old Swedan and German saws! Bob!

Homelite began making small generator sets for home lighting way back when, like in the 1920's. They saw the hadwriting on the wall with Roosevelt's work programs bringing power to rural areas in the 1930's, got a reprieve when the country tooled up to fight WWII. As most of the small gensets of the era were 2-strokes, they did have and edge in the technology of the era, and moved into chainsaws seriously around 1951 with the 26LCS, although they seem to have made a couple of contract power plants for others previously. Their first serious chainsaw (IMO) was the 5-20 gear drive in about 1955. That was their first all-round effort, with an all-position carb and enough power even for the big wood in the west. This basic engine design hung on into the 1970's with the last of the WIZ saws.
Homelite was taken over by Textron, who were mostly into textile mills in about 1955. Textron eventually sold Homie to Deere a few years ago, who bought them for their industrial compressors, pumps, and generators, and was forced to take the consumer stuff with the deal. they did try to market the Homie stuff, both in green and red, but by this time it was too late...

McC began with saws a little earlier. Their first all-position saw was in 1949, with the 3-25. This saw had a lot of problems, but even so was ahead of its time. IMO, McC had a little better large saw line through the late 1960's, and I am a Homelite man. Their small saws, like the 10-10, were OK, but just a hair heavier and clumsier than the Homie XL/SXL, although the stying was prettier. The mid-range saws like the 250 were too heavy...I disliked that thin front handle, especially. In the later 1960's I think McC kinda gave up on the market in the upper midwest, as there weren't many saws of that era seen here, except the 10-10 and various mini-mac types saws...the beginning of the big-box era, the downfall of the USA saw makers.

Homie and McC names are still around, but as cheap asian imports. There is also an Elux McC made in Italy that is better, but I think their market is in S. Europe and some of the former commie bloc countries.

and what a shame, their all gone now! That is why if a guy likes chainsaws, now is the time to grab some if you can, or while you can. I think if I had to buy a new saw, and this is just from my own expierence, It would be a Jonsered. And I know they are not the saw they use to be. Give me 3 new model 70e's, and a few cylinder, piston kits, and a 111, I'd be good to go for life. I mostly cut firewood, sometimes take down trees. But the 70 is a very good saw. There are only three major saw outfits. Husky, Sthil, and Jonsered. Not knocking any of these saws, you will have good and bad in all, just like chevy, ford, and Dodge. Bob

Latest posts

Back