Husqvarna - Still A Good Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see Stihl dealers everywhere, seems like I see and read a lot about Echo chainsaws. Our local dealer who sold Husqvarna changed hands - don’t think they carry them now. I see TSC and Lowe’s carry Husqvarna.

Are Husqvarna chainsaws still a very good chain saw?

Perhaps it’s a local thing for my area, but does Husqvarna still support a dealer network? Is there still excitement over Husqvarna chainsaws? Back when they hit the scene here, they were top shelf saws.

What’s the skinny on Husqvarna chainsaws these days?

Lastly - which Husqvarna 50-ish CC chainsaw would you recommend for firewood cutting?

Thanks!

Pro grade husky's are okay (i.e 545, 550, 555, 562.) farm and ranch (i.e 450, 455, 460.) Are probably fine for the occasional cutter.
Stihl guy here but looking at specs on paper and reading other people's reviews is what leads me to this conclusion. Seems like they're switching to online sales, no good dealer support near me either, thats partiality why I like stihls. Husky vs stihl is like Ford vs Chevy, just get what you like😉

I like the pro level husqvarnas like the 550 or 562, they are top of the class power wise for the cc and have very good anti vibe.
The farm and ranch models like the 445, 450, 455 are ok, they're a little heavy for their power output but are trouble free dependable saws.
The home owner models like the 235 or new 120 are junk, they just dont run well or last.
With so many people buying all their parts online a lot of different types of dealers are going out of business, they just cant make money anymore.

Husqvarna is changing the sales model. Weeding out the small dealers. Go big box or internet.
Very afraid others will be going the same way.
The other thing is the lack of knowledgeable new dealers. Lots of sellers, no service.
But with all the clones, big box, etc., are we needed or wanted? Still swamped at the shop.
I am headed towards 70 with no replacement in sight.

TSC doesn’t carry Husqvarna pro line, Rural King here does and even claims they will work on them.
Had my heart set on a Stihl MS261 as my “last” saw, but the 20% off sale last month on a 550 XP II was just too good to pass up. Not disappointed so far.
I wouldn’t kick an Echo 501P out of bed in that cc range, especially with the common 10% discount at Home Depot. Afraid I might be spoiled by the auto-tune saws, though.

Husqvarna is changing the sales model. Weeding out the small dealers. Go big box or internet.
Very afraid others will be going the same way.
The other thing is the lack of knowledgeable new dealers. Lots of sellers, no service.
But with all the clones, big box, etc., are we needed or wanted? Still swamped at the shop.
I am headed towards 70 with no replacement in sight.
Stihl is too. There are sold at Ace Hardware, Murdoch's, Shipton's and other chain retailers.

Dealer support has always been spotty. Growing up we had a really good Stihl dealer, who is still in business. The local hardware also sold Husky.
Where I lived next their were twonreally good saw shops that sold Husky and Husky/Jonsered. Their was also a rental outfit that sold stihls. Stihls where rarely used in logging as Husky had that market locked.
When I lived in NW Ontario there were places that sold both Stihl and Husky, but Husky seemed to be the most popular.
Here in MT stihl seems to be more popular and their are no dedicated saw shops in my area. It's a chain store for either brand.

My Husqvarna dealer moved to Stihl. He still works on them, but basically said the same thing. People buying at big box and internet wanting him to do warranty work, etc. He got fed up with them. We don’t have a Husky dedicated dealer around anymore. Used to be just the opposite.

What a can of worms. I would say husqvarna all the way but others would say the same of stihl. Personally if I were you I would go for something like a 362 or an older 266 and they would both do all you ask of them all day long. If you go for the newer 5 series that are auto tune they are good saws but if you need to have any work done at a dealer it's going to cost you and it's not cheap. The 266 and 362 you can do all work yourself and plenty of spares around. Good luck

It’s regional. But Stihl has more, and bigger regions. I used to live in Husqvarna territory and they had several very nice stores/dealers with lots of good inventory and service. Certain models of Husqy that are still being produced are some of the best saws made. The modern pro grade are right up there with Stihl in performance and quality. Stihl is better at marketing and they always push the envelope in saw tech.

It’s regional. But Stihl has more, and bigger regions. I used to live in Husqvarna territory and they had several very nice stores/dealers with lots of good inventory and service. Certain models of Husqy that are still being produced are some of the best saws made. The modern pro grade are right up there with Stihl in performance and quality. Stihl is better at marketing and they always push the envelope in saw tech.
Stihl may be pushing the envelope with the FI 500I, but the rest of the line up was copied essentially from Husky.
Keep in mind Husky had air injection, spring AV 4 transfer port cylinders a generation before Stihl. They also had the first strato charged and solenoid controlled carb. They actually were forced by the EU to share some strato tech with Stihl because they were so far behind.

This. Stihl pretty much keeps stuff in house, advertising, and proprietizing everything. Similar to the John Deere model. As my former Husky dealer said: “Stihl sells itself”. He used to knock prices off Retail on Husky. He doesn’t budge an inch on Stihl.
Not knocking either one, but it is what it is.

In my area Husky has always, and still does rule the sales. Most places that sell Husky also sell Stihl, but the Husky's always seem to be priced more competatively and their sales are more aggressive. In recent years I havnt even seen the Stihls go on sale, perhaps because every time they do the Husky just beats them.

Anyhow, because every time I've needed a saw Husqvarna simply gave me more for my money, all my saws are orange and all the models I've owned have been great. I currently own a 345 from the early 00's, a 2012 365xt, and a new 565. At this point I've got enough large mount Husky bars and chains kicking around that I doubt I will ever go to Stihl, even though I'm sure they are make a fine saw.

Stihl may be pushing the envelope with the FI 500I, but the rest of the line up was copied essentially from Husky.
Keep in mind Husky had air injection, spring AV 4 transfer port cylinders a generation before Stihl. They also had the first strato charged and solenoid controlled carb. They actually were forced by the EU to share some strato tech with Stihl because they were so far behind.
Yeah, I guess you’re right…a lot of that stuff was launched by Husqy, but no one around where I live would know it. Nothing but Stihl and Echo signs.

I'm not a professional arborist but I still love to use quality equipment. I bought a Husqvarna 550xp Mark ii. It's the pro grade husky 50cc saw. It's been awesome for me. I bought it back in September of 2020 and it's been a great saw for me. I've not had any issues with it at all.

Yes I think Husky makes a great pro saw. A good farm and ranch saw and an ok residential gas and battery saws. In my area Stihl is king due mostly because dealers are on every corner almost. There is one Husky dealer in my area that is a warranty servicer. He has two good techs that are Husky multi certified in small engines and saws(he sells lawnmowers too). I try to buy from him instead of internet or big box stores. He did have to order my new saw simply because he said anything over 60cc just doesnt move quickly enough around here. The timber guys here buy Stihl because of access to dealers. They cant wait for you to order a saw. When they need one they need it now. But I can wait and will. Small businesses are getting harder to find and my guy employs 4 people full time so I want him to stay open for them and me.

After 50 years of Stihl bought my first husky, a 540xp rear handle. I'm quite pleased and impressed with this little saw. My favorite thing is the auto tune 3.0 with automatic choke, just put it in the start position and it starts and runs, the software sets the choke as needed. No more pulling a few times till it pops take the choke off and a few more pulls to start. I won't buy another husky unless it has auto tune 3.0 which the 540 and 592 have, and I see they just released the 562 with 3.0 auto tune.

Before long, maybe we’ll have saws that self-tension, self-sharpen, self-start, and self mix. We’ll wonder how we ever lived pushing levers, choke knobs, and pull cords.

In the same camp we’ve got guys splitting hairs over hand filing.

It’s interesting here on the net.

Latest posts

Back