OLD husqvarna rancher 50 not starting - seems to have spark, compression, fuel, timing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go back to basics, forget about timing unless you or someone has removed the flywheel and destroyed the key....unlikely but I have seen it when people play with saws and think because they can change an air filter on their truck they can easily work on a saw. Timing never just goes out unless the flywheel is loose. A lot is mentioned about fuel down the plug hole or squirted into the carb, again you can get away with this on a car but a saw needs a very small amount and this has to be cleared before more is added or you end up with too much fuel in the crank and it will never start.
So go back to basics and start with a vac test, check fuel filter or replace and pressure test fuel pipe, that's the first thing along with fuel quality. You may have put new in but what was in it before. A vac test maybe out of your scope but is a necessary test and easy to do, it's a simple two stroke engine but if everything checks out and it still wont run, check again. Set carb to standard settings, If it gets too much sleep on it and often something will come to you and bingo it runs.
And lastly, I know men who cant start their saws, nothing wrong with both saws I can start them easy. So why 🤔
They cant pull them over fast enough. One is 35cc the other 60cc
They both blamed the saw until it was pointed out to them.
Good luck I hope you can solve it.

Yes it certanily can - most modern ignition coils have an ignition curve. The microprocessor that controls this calculates engine speed off the flywheel rotation against a quartz clock. This gives the micro processor the information to calculate engine rpm. With this information, it sends a signal to a transistor which then releases the current in the primary windings into the secondary to create voltage / spark at the pre determined time. If the microprocessor doesn’t close the transistor you get rev limitation. Therefore it goes without saying, when these components fail, the spark can be anywhere.

Yes it certanily can - most modern ignition coils have an ignition curve. The microprocessor that controls this calculates engine speed off the flywheel rotation against a quartz clock. This gives the micro processor the information to calculate engine rpm. With this information, it sends a signal to a transistor which then releases the current in the primary windings into the secondary to create voltage / spark at the pre determined time. If the microprocessor doesn’t close the transistor you get rev limitation. Therefore it goes without saying, when these components fail, the spark can be anywhere.
Good point👍
But surely that's on the newer rev limiter coils. It does make sense but I would tend to rule it out on this saw.

Back