Stihl MS 261 C-M Will Not Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The green one is the most recent and universal for all saws. The black solenoid was the one with the most problems. The white ones (for me) have been trouble free for the most part.
Not exactly. At least, not according to Stihl bulletins, some of which are posted in the Stihl sticky thread.

Not exactly. At least, not according to Stihl bulletins, some of which are posted in the Stihl sticky thread.

A green solenoid is listed as a replacement for every m-tronic saw regardless of the year or carb, I saved the sheet that came in the box with one.

After more research my serial number is below 507337395 which according to the publication below I should use the green solenoid. However, I’m pretty certain the solenoid that I have ordered is white. Any idea what happens if I try to use the white one? My guess is that it would not work.

M-Tronic Solenoid Valves.jpg

After more research my serial number is below 507337395 which according to the publication below I should use the green solenoid. However, I’m pretty certain the solenoid that I have ordered is white. Any idea what happens if I try to use the white one? My guess is that it would not work.

View attachment 1122184
The saw will spontaneously ignite and explode.

Won't the white one work in all the saws?
The publication that I posted referring to use of the green one was from 2021. I’m not sure when the green one was made available but a similar publication from 2019 didn’t mention the green one so I’d have to assume as others have said that a white one was used after a black one failed when the green one was not available.

However, I’m sure Stihl developed a green one for a reason and listed a serial number range for its use.

The publication that I posted referring to use of the green one was from 2021. I’m not sure when the green one was made available but a similar publication from 2019 didn’t mention the green one so I’d have to assume as others have said that a white one was used after a black one failed when the green one was not available.

However, I’m sure Stihl developed a green one for a reason and listed a serial number range for its use.
Well report back when its installed.

I'm so confused...What diagnostics have been done to warrant replacing any parts?
I've repaired saws with a similar problem recently:

-A 50cc Jonsered had the same symptoms. It was low on compression, borderline but just low enough to cause starting issues. Getting a new top end. Not straight gassed- just years of use and mediocre fuel.

-A Stihl MS261 had the same symptoms. It was perfectly fine. It just had gas that was a bit old. Put in some new ethanol free fuel and she fired up just fine.

I'd confirm ignition is in good order. Confirm you're getting a strong spark at the plug.

I'm so confused...What diagnostics have been done to warrant replacing any parts?
I've repaired saws with a similar problem recently:

-A 50cc Jonsered had the same symptoms. It was low on compression, borderline but just low enough to cause starting issues. Getting a new top end. Not straight gassed- just years of use and mediocre fuel.

-A Stihl MS261 had the same symptoms. It was perfectly fine. It just had gas that was a bit old. Put in some new ethanol free fuel and she fired up just fine.

I'd confirm ignition is in good order. Confirm you're getting a strong spark at the plug.
It is a well known issue with some mtronic saws. Replace the solenoid and, magic, all is well. I’ve had 3-4 with the same issue…all worked after a swap. 2 more didn’t but those were my fault…screwed up the carbs 🙄

Latest posts

Back