MS 441 C-M Spark Plug Compatibility

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After ~10 years and 133 tanks of fuel, my Stihl MS 441 C-M wouldn't start all of a sudden. It acted like it wanted to start when an attempt was made from a cold start but didn't get any further.

I pulled the spark plug and it was corroded (black) and wet which indicates too rich and flooded. Time to get a new spark plug. I usually just tap the dust out of the filter to clean it but I might go ahead and do a more thorough cleaning.

Most of my research says to go with the Stihl branded NGK spark plug or the compatible Bosch. Has anyone had experience using the compatible Champion brand?

Replaced the spark plug with a NGK. Still wouldn't start but got it to act like it was trying. Acted like it was starving for fuel.

Checked the fuel filter and it was almost right at the fill entrance where I could see the side and looked pretty darn clean. Pushed it down into the tank. I had checked the fuel filter when troubleshooting with the old spark plug and sometime between the spark plug being replaced, the fuel filter had moved.

Started after the second pull.

Latest posts

Back