Coal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in coal country in PA our home had an EFM Stoker that supplied all the heat and hot water we could use. My parents in mid-summer would have 10-12 tons of pea coal delivered it was always fun to watch those guys dump the coal down the chute to the storage room in our basement, right to the rafters! That stoker lasted 55 years and my Mom got $1500 for it when she changed to gas! I can still hear her today yelling at me to go fill the hopper and change out the ash bucket.

Art has the best answer right there.

Just what does coal go for a ton? Just wanted to figure in my head compared to wood. Thanks

Cost is very location sensitive. I'm in central PA right between the bituminous coal to the west and the anthracite to the east. I pay about $200/ton picked up. Go to nepacrossroads.com and you can find a local price for your area.

Kevin

My boss tells story's about delivering coal out of a 2 1/2 ton truck back in the 60's. Of course everyone used to call shortly before closing and they'd have to go deliver it anyway. He said they used to get there coal from West Virginia or eastern Kentucky only, by train car loads. His story goes "the best sound you'll ever hear is when the aluminum scoop shovel bangs into the bottom of the truck bed for the first time cause you only have another 1 1/2 hours to shovel". He said they were selling it back then for just a few bucks a ton depending upon if it was chunk, stoker or something else(can't remember the name) and that was delivered.

When I was a kid, I remember my dad getting coal "delivered" for 20 bucks a ton! The guy had a 5 yard dump truck and coal chute, he would put the chute in our basement window and start dumping, it would slide down the chute and fall into a coal bin in the basement. Anything that wouldn't go through the window, he would leave on the ground by the window and we would use a sledge hammer to break them up.

Finally, my dad bought a "Wright saw", (like the first two images here)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wright saw&qpvt=wright saw&FORM=IGRE

I still have it,

SR

Back