Cold snap on its way!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya' ain't gonna' warm-up much here... "they're" promising -28° by Monday Morning‼
They've already cancelled school for Monday... windchills are expected to dip below -60°.
Tomorrow through Wednesday is gonna' be a treacherous time for people unaccustomed to how dangerous that wind can be on open ground... people who haven't spent their life here, maybe traveling through, just don't understand that 15 minutes can equal a lifetime. That farmhouse just a half-mile down the road looks close to them... they don't make it, they never had a chance.

The recent article I read on the new record cold -136 )in anarctica was interesting to me and shed light on what extreme temperatures can do . You can't functionally breathe under 100 degrees
And must be careful because your throat and part of your lungs can actually freeze a human can only be exposed to it for 3 minutes. . Air filled Tires pop at 80 below .. Lots of interesting things can happen at these temperatures that most people don't consider. I could see at even 50 below people dieing from vehicle failures(caution ford owners ) or mis judging how far a distance from one building to another is . Anyone with elderly parents needs to keep a close eye on them in these conditions . I think People around globe must finally be making a difference to global warmin by buying up all those carbon credits from al gore !..that and driving all these tiny Prius hybrid weenie mobiles around ( spend forty grand on a glorified golf cart to save 500 a year in gas. ) that run on unicorn farts. . .also it really helps by bringing your own ugly woven hemp bag with a clever logo on it to walmart and trying to pack all your junk in it is effectively saving us all. See This is why Liberalism is a mental disorder . It destroys the persons ability to reason and replaces God given logic with flawed ideology that tries to save you from yourself

Last edited:
Well if the cold wasn't enough....here is what we have coming for tonight. I got time to cut one more load of wood before I "belly" up for a few days!

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 AM EST MONDAY... ...WIND CHILL WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 AM EST MONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO LOCALLY 10 INCHES EXPECTED FROM SATURDAY EVENING INTO SUNDAY EVENING.

* WIND GUSTS OF 25 TO 35 MPH SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY COULD CREATE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

* WIND CHILLS BETWEEN 25 AND 35 BELOW POSSIBLE STARTING MONDAY MORNING.

IMPACTS...

* DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING WITH SLIPPERY CONDITIONS AND ACCUMULATING SNOW.

* UNSAFE TO BE OUTDOORS MONDAY AND TUESDAY FOR PROLONGED PERIODS OF TIME DUE TO THE EXTREME COLD CONDITIONS.

* POOR VISIBILITY IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW POSSIBLE MONDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

* THE MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION REMINDS MOTORISTS TO ADJUST SPEEDS BASED ON THE CONDITIONS... AND TO TAKE IT SLOW IN ICE AND SNOW.

* WEATHER PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON LINE AT WWW.READY.GOV/WINTER AND HTTP://GO.USA.GOV/5OG.

* THE COMBINATION OF VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS MAY CREATE DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILL VALUES.

And we are now supposed to be getting low single digits starting Monday! This is Georgia, that is bonafide cold! I mean, it's cold enough already at teens or 20s here, but single digits is ..ehh...ya, I know, I'm a wuss..HAHAHAHAHA

Ours reads like this... but I'm sure it will be updated several times in the next 48 hours...

Wind chill warning Sunday night through Tuesday morning...

* life-threatening wind chills of 35 below to 50 below zero are expected. Wind chills of 60 below zero are possible at times Monday morning.

* This is a life-threatening cold for those not in shelter. Frost bite will occur in 5 to 10 minutes on exposed skin. Ensure animals have adequate shelter for these dangerously cold conditions.

A wind chill warning means the combination of very cold air and strong winds will create dangerously low wind chill values. This will result in frost bite in 5 to 10 minutes and lead to hypothermia or death if precautions are not taken.

Ours reads like this... but I'm sure it will be updated several times in the next 48 hours...

Wind chill warning Sunday night through Tuesday morning...

* life-threatening wind chills of 35 below to 50 below zero are expected. Wind chills of 60 below zero are possible at times Monday morning.

* This is a life-threatening cold for those not in shelter. Frost bite will occur in 5 to 10 minutes on exposed skin. Ensure animals have adequate shelter for these dangerously cold conditions.
A wind chill warning means the combination of very cold air and strong winds will create dangerously low wind chill values. This will result in frost bite in 5 to 10 minutes and lead to hypothermia or death if precautions are not taken.
You fellers in the plains states, and great lake states can shake this off, but you fellers points south of there better break out the woolies. And I'm not talking cotton. Woolpower!

But in all seriousness, be careful out there.

-5 this morning in south Jersey. Not the cold like some parts of the country gets but it's damn cold for us. Just the kind of weather I've been waiting on since buying my owb 3 falls ago.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/saskatchewan/saskatoon?ref=homecity

Thats windchils of -54f night and -40f daytime today here.

Nothing like driving to work in a brick.

Normal tire rubber becomes hard and slippery. NEVER be in a hurry. Be careful and make sure you have candles and a blanket in vehicles. Dress in layers with warm footwear. Any breakdown in the frigid cold becomes a survival situation. A Canadian toque is a necessity, not a fashion item.

But hey, we get zero earthquakes, volcanoes, tornados, etc. And right now no mosqitoes.

Last edited:
.also it really helps by bringing your own ugly woven hemp bag with a clever logo on it to walmart and trying to pack all your junk in it is effectively saving us all. See This is why Liberalism is a mental disorder . It destroys the persons ability to reason and replaces God given logic with flawed ideology that tries to save you from yourself

Gee, I thought I was only using the non plastic bags because I hate having to deal with a zillion of the messy things that usually have holes in them by the time I get them home. The cloth bags will hold a heck of a lot more and that means less trips between house and car in the below zero weather. Or out here, in the rain.

Hemp is cool,.. man. Read some history about our country and the use of woven hemp. Then stick your head in the toilet and flush. :laugh:
Yeah, hemp was a major crop and processing hemp fiber a major industry. It is incredibly useful for many things. Absolute foolishness that we deny ourselves the benefits of it for such silly reasons.

Now they're calling for ice here tomorrow. Glad I got fuel for the generator, but I better carry it down to the lower porch where the generator is.

And we are now supposed to be getting low single digits starting Monday! This is Georgia, that is bonafide cold! I mean, it's cold enough already at teens or 20s here, but single digits is ..ehh...ya, I know, I'm a wuss..HAHAHAHAHA
Do you guys down there even have heavy enough clothing for single digit weather? And I'm being serious about that. That's awfully cold if a person ain't used to it.

Do you guys down there even have heavy enough clothing for single digit weather? And I'm being serious about that. That's awfully cold if a person ain't used to it.

Ya, pretty much. Just do layers and wear a coat, etc. Same ole farmer rubber boots, wear an extra pair of socks. Got some minimal chores every day, got to get done. I doubt I will hang out real long outside though, ha! I'll put out extra hay tomorrow, over feed the cluckeraptors, give the barn cats something special, dogs will get meat with their dry chow. Got plenty of wood stacked behind the stove. Maybe do some stew, we just put up half a beef.

I am gonna whack some frozen rounds though, just for fun, it rarely gets cold enough to freeze the firewood. Our weather guessers are saying monday and tuesday for the cold days, and maybe we'll see a little white dirt!

I cut up a good cord this morning . Foot of snow and. 7 degree windy day took its toll on my. . I'm whipped

They were calling for rain that will freeze on the ground. It's about 30, the radar maps show it's supposed to be precipitating something but there's not much happening. Looks like it's going to pass over fairly quick unless it starts forming more in place.

Now tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 43 and low of 1, with Tuesday being a high of 7. This bouncing around stuff is nuts.

-2° here right now, 25 MPH northwest wind putting windchill at -27°.
We hit our high for the day shortly after midnight (1°)... I ain't goin' outside today, and I've got the cloths for it!
Still lookin' at something south of -25° by tomorrow morning.

This is a new one... "they've" added this to our cold/windchill warning...

"In addition... slippery roads could occur from car exhaust freezing on pavement."

L-O-L... don't ever remember seeing that one.

Latest posts

Back