Cold Weather Threat = Firewood Orders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil pan heater or hair dryer is juts putting earrings on a pig. Get you by but as soon as your able i'd find the root of the issue before it leaves you high and dry. Not too many gasoline engines need oil pan heaters. I could see if you were running straight 30W in it but other than that there is another issue.

Mine has ATF in it on the hydro side, factory recommendation. I don't split all winter so not sure how it is for starting in real cold weather, but I've used it a few times after it's sat in -5 to -10c temps all night, with no starting issues. It does crank a little bit stiffer but still starts OK.

I have great news. The engine started today when the temp reached 25 F and the air was dry. I had filled the tank with fresh fuel the last time I ran it for about two hours. On the fourth choke pull it fired, and in between pulls I tapped the carb bowl with a short block of scrap wood for encouragement. That's all it needed. I split almost a full truckload in two hours. Looks like the high humidity last week is what shut her down. Today it was dry and the sun was shining. The Sun god and our forum must have helped me out.

I'm back in business and now all I have to do is catch up with orders for truckloads. It will take awhile. I'm sure Chucker and others understand. Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. :clap:

The bulk of my splitting was during the spring thaw. I was always a year ahead with seasoned firewood. The kids in the neighborhood called my pile of unsplit wood “mount ever wood”. We’d have 40 to 50 cords unsplit. My next door neighbor called me the ant because I never stopped working.

On days I delivered from sun up till 9 pm. Make hay while the sun shines.

I've delivered a 140 cords so far and have about 35 more on order. I am just about out so I'm telling this huge influx of new people they have to wait until I fill my orders to see whats left before I can commit to selling them wood.

I've delivered a 140 cords so far and have about 35 more on order. I am just about out so I'm telling this huge influx of new people they have to wait until I fill my orders to see whats left before I can commit to selling them wood.

I just want to say something on carburetor icing. Having spent a lot of time with Volkswagens, I've had a little experience. It is worst at temps close to but above freezing. The humidity is higher above freezing and the cooling effects of the air flow and fuel evaporation drop the temp in the carb throat below freezing, causing ice to form in the throat.

Regarding warming the carb, throw a cover over the engine and put a 75 or 100 watt light bulb under there. Many people in my area heat their pump houses that way.

Back