Colorado Blue Spruce.... winter burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summett

Reaction score
I planted 15 blue spruce last summer (MN) and notice this spring that almost all of them have brown spots on the south side of them (rest of trees are really thick & full). I noticed on a post that this could possibly be "winter burn".

What if anything can be done to rejuvinate them. I've fertilized with spikes, and we've recently had lots of rain. Is there any sprays or anything that can help prevent the spread of this?

Your suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

The watering was the best thing you could do. To help prevent it next winter water good just before it freezes up. This is caused by cold dry winds taking moisture out of the tree at the same time the ground is froze and won't give any water up to the roots. It will not spread, it is not a disease, just an environmental condition, like 90%+ of all the problems we see on trees. Most diseases and bugs are the end of a stressful period for the tree. If the stress is prevented with water and good, well aerated soil of normal fertility, most of the other problems cease to be problems, just part of the ecology of the landscape.

Thanks for letting me give my speech. Bob Underwood, ND.

Latest posts

Back