Colorado Spruce--How to Care for It???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk24

Reaction score
Hello to everyone here who knows how to interact with the plant kingdom. :) My husband and I just received a (potted) Colorado Spruce (picea pungens) as a wedding gift. Neither of us have a clue about the care that it needs. HELP, please! (My mother has not had great luck with plants, and I don't want to follow in her murderous footsteps :)).

Thank you,
JenK

Jen,
Do you plan on leaving it in the pot for now? If so avoid letting the sun hit the pot directly and keep the soil moist.

The nursery typically waters twice a day. So use that as a benchmark for your watering schedule.

If you plan on adding the tree to your landscape:
First, choose a site the will be able to accommodate its mature size about 60' tall by 25' wide.
Second, have a well drained site, they don't like wet feet.

Full sun and water less frequently in the soil then in the pot.

Hope this starts you in the right direction.

Jay Banks
Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

Jay,

I will leave it in the pot for now (I don't have a place to plant it yet).

Not to sound foolish, but are you saying that the sun can hit the trees branches but not the pot? Or should the tree be kept out of direct sunlight all together? And I need to water it frequently--enough to keep the soil constantly moist. Is that right?

Thank you for the much-needed advice,
JenK

Some sunlight is good for the tree, but the sun can 'bake' the pot and the soil in the pot drying it out quickly. Try to give it some shade during the heat of the day so it doesn't dry out as fast. Nursuries water 2x per day because the plants are in full sun. Use the 'finger' test to determine how often to water. Stick your finger in the soil, when it is dry it's time to water. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back