colored tie straps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone know a source of different color tie straps and presets other than black?

That way when I build the chain I put one set in and then I can start and end sharpening there. One of my small chains (Stihl?) has a green link

Anyone know a source of different color tie straps and presets other than black?

That way when I build the chain I put one set in and then I can start and end sharpening there. One of my small chains (Stihl?) has a green link

Hate to revive such an old thread, but a lot of people use a marker to mark one link. If you wanted something more permanent you could buff one link with a polishing attachment for a dremel. Alternatively, a little dab of grease when you start sharpening on the frst link....

As an aside, if you cant tell where you started then you either aren't sharpening any good, or you are sharpening way too often. Get back out there and cut some wood!

Hate to revive such an old thread, but a lot of people use a marker to mark one link. If you wanted something more permanent you could buff one link with a polishing attachment for a dremel. Alternatively, a little dab of grease when you start sharpening on the frst link....

As an aside, if you cant tell where you started then you either aren't sharpening any good, or you are sharpening way too often. Get back out there and cut some wood!
Markers, paint, sharpies, crayons, grease are obvious.
I mill, I sharpen often.
A question was asked and no one replied for a source of what was needed.

But at least I found out that my sharpening is improper according to one source.

home depot has bundle of 5 different bright colored ones if you ment zip ties??

How about some tie straps from Stihl? The ones we have here are yellow. Your not supposed to use them on other manufacturers chain, so make sure you measure with a caliper the different parts to make sure theyre compatible.

That sounds great, that's why I was asking here. Does the color hold up thru several sharpenings?

Doesnt take much cutting to wear off the coloring on the tie straps.

The one chain I had from somewhere with 1 green link has been thru several dulling/sharpening cycles.

I was hoping for a tie strap made of a colored steel.

/edit - I went and dug thru the chains and finally found it, apparently a painted green that lasts.

attachment.php

I've tried various paints myself and nothing stuck for more than a cut.

Last edited:
well at least we've generated a few legitimate responses.... hopefully this makes you feel a bit less bad about the ribbing :givebeer:

I've been working with steel a long time, and I've never seen colored steel. Some heat treating etc leads to blueing, but steel just doesnt come in yellow etc. you want a tough coating, my suggestion would be KG gun kote. It's tough as all getup, a little pricey but the tiniest of tins will last you a long long time. it does come in yellow and orange as well as a few shades of black, camo etc....

I've used it for painting motorbike engines, but it gets great reviews for coating most things. I never did spray it on, though you're supposed to. I preheated the parts lightly (this helps a lot) then painted on with a brush and oven cured. It does come in very small tins. I think it would really stand up to hard abuse. google will show a lot of good examples.

The only other (not especially practical) possibility is maybe a small home made electroplating or anodising setup. This is very useful if you restore old auto parts etc, not really worth doing for a few chain links. The chemicals are nasty.

Shaun

That sounds great, that's why I was asking here. Does the color hold up thru several sharpenings?

The one chain I had from somewhere with 1 green link has been thru several dulling/sharpening cycles.

I was hoping for a tie strap made of a colored steel.

/edit - I went and dug thru the chains and finally found it, apparently a painted green that lasts.

attachment.php

I've tried various paints myself and nothing stuck for more than a cut.

Green must last better, here is one thats been used half a day had the yellow tie strap you can see it didnt last very well the other side is completely bare. Its ready for its first sharpening. Like so many other things with chainsaws user milage may vary. I kinda smooshed that fwd rivet when I put it together.

attachment.php

If you are using it as a marker just for when you are sharpening, what about having a bottle of "white out" that is sold in the stationary section of some stores. It will come off when the chain is used, but a quick dab will mark the chain when it's time for sharpening. It dries very fast as well. I used it to fill in timing marks on harmonic balancers when timing a car.

If you are using it as a marker just for when you are sharpening, what about having a bottle of "white out" that is sold in the stationary section of some stores. It will come off when the chain is used, but a quick dab will mark the chain when it's time for sharpening. It dries very fast as well. I used it to fill in timing marks on harmonic balancers when timing a car.
Just something else to carry around

home depot has bundle of 5 different bright colored ones if you ment zip ties??
I got mine there and they were actually surprisingly cheap!
And no - I didn't mean zip ties, railroad ties, bow ties etc.. I meant preset tie straps and bumper tie straps. They are "the little thingies that hold the chain links together but don't have points"
See pic,
attachment.php

They have white-out in a pen form in addition to the bottles, I know its something else to lose out in the woods, but if you can't find the painted straps it's an option.

did you see:
Well I plan on trying some of the yellow tie straps. That green one was only green on that side.

Wish someone could have responded about the yellow ones right after I started the thread.

I found the bottle of white lacquer touch-up paint from my '95 Ford pick up a while back and it's lasted as long or longer than the factory paint on my Stihl chains. Might give that a try.

Steve

Hmmm

I was wondering if maybe the color of the strap indicates the pitch of the chain. I've seen one yellow, and one green in my life... they were the straps the saw shop used to create a poop of chain. I got a chain with a green strap on it the other day on my 3/8ths pitch low profile stihl chain. The chain wouldn't turn over the sprocket and I was thinking too tight on the rivet rounding.

but looking a little closer noticed that it was a .325 link used to join the chain ends. Maybe green is .325 and yellow is 3/8ths at least from certain manufacturers of joining links. ??

I was wondering if maybe the color of the strap indicates the pitch of the chain. I've seen one yellow, and one green in my life... they were the straps the saw shop used to create a poop of chain. I got a chain with a green strap on it the other day on my 3/8ths pitch low profile stihl chain. The chain wouldn't turn over the sprocket and I was thinking too tight on the rivet rounding.

but looking a little closer noticed that it was a .325 link used to join the chain ends. Maybe green is .325 and yellow is 3/8ths at least from certain manufacturers of joining links. ??

Green equels reducedkick back
Yellow non safety higher kick back tendencies

Green equels reducedkick back
Yellow non safety higher kick back tendencies

Thanks Cedar. good info ----it was a safety chain.. it was buggin me wondering. still wish the saw shop would have used the right size tie strap to join the chain, luckily I had the right tie strap, a grinder, a home made punch, hammer, and a piece of metal to use as an anvil laying around.

Back