Commencing Ebay Chainsaw search

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veramacor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of the CSM pros have bought their chainsaws/mills used thru ebay and have had any success.

My current situation makes if more likely to make a purchase on ebay. I'm looking at a Stihl ms 440 and was wondering if that would be a big enough saw considering the following:

1) I'm not going to be milling every weekend. Just when a family/friend has a downed tree. (1st tree will be a 25" Ash)

2) < 25" Oaks and Poplars would be my staple.

I know everyone recommends the bigger is better approach, but the jump from a 70cc machine (MS 440) to a 90 cc machine is a bit much.

Do I wait until I can afford the MS 660 or can I get my feet wet with a 440 and still be satisfied enough to continue milling, possibly getting the 660 as a second saw in the future?

First saw recommendations?

Tnx!

I bought both an Alaskan mill and an 066 on ebay with positive results. Well, it took me 2 tries on the saw but it all worked out in the end. I had a little trouble with the first seller, but the second one worked out well. Both sellers were Canadian, so I am 1-1 with Canadian ebayers. Good luck!

my stihls were bought new at a local dealer, but I bought my husky through ebay used for $300. With a little elbow grease and some new rubber, it cuts like a new saw. My thought when getting this one was that I could do any repairs that needed to be done pretty cheaply, and I didnt mind doing them. I wanted a big saw; couldnt afford an MS660.

Oak

Veramacor said:
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of the CSM pros have bought their chainsaws/mills used thru ebay and have had any success.

My current situation makes if more likely to make a purchase on ebay. I'm looking at a Stihl ms 440 and was wondering if that would be a big enough saw considering the following:

1) I'm not going to be milling every weekend. Just when a family/friend has a downed tree. (1st tree will be a 25" Ash)

2) < 25" Oaks and Poplars would be my staple.

I know everyone recommends the bigger is better approach, but the jump from a 70cc machine (MS 440) to a 90 cc machine is a bit much.

Do I wait until I can afford the MS 660 or can I get my feet wet with a 440 and still be satisfied enough to continue milling, possibly getting the 660 as a second saw in the future?

First saw recommendations?

Tnx!
25inch oak I would think would work a 440 to death. I have used a 365 and a372 to mill. Both saw have done a good job on 20inch and smaller red fir. When I start milling maple or dogwood that drops down to 14 inch or smaller. I would look for maybe a used 395 you can pick those up on ebay for pretty good prices sometimes. Woodshop has used a 365 to mill also he might have done tree's that big with it. Going down a 25inch oak with a 365 I would think would take forever.

I got my 066 off of ebay, and it needed a bit of work, and was a bit ugly, but was mechanically solid and runs like crazy. A Canuck saw from the big woods in BC. Well used, but run by a guy that knew saws, and bought from a guy with a good track record selling saws. I only bid on this one because the guy who was selling it was very open about the saw, had sold a lot of saws and got good feedback from them. A lot of feedback doesn't mean much if the guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

I paid $425 to my door, and although I have seen better deals lately, I got a solid saw for my money, and was happy with it.

If you are serious about milling, get an 066 or a Husky 395, and don't look back. You will need the power in oak. A 25" oak is right at the edge of "happy" with a saw of that caliber, although I have milled 36" slabs of both oak and walnut. The saw wasn't happy, but it did it, with me having to work the bar to keep the saw from stalling. You won't regret buying the bigger saw for a moment, and you still have a saw that is light enough for bucking and falling, although a bit big for trim-ups (but I've done it, bringing only one saw when my capacity to haul lumber back has been limited and I'm watching what I bring out to the tree)

Mark

Skip the MS440 idea.

From everything I've seen and heard, and from the very limited (only a couple boards...so far) time I've spent running a CSM, to mill larger hardwood you really need 90cc+ displacement.

So if you're looking at new saws, you're pretty much limited to a Stihl 660/880, Husqvarna 395/3210, or Dolmar 9010. If you're willing to consider older used saws, there are LOTS of good choices out there for less than the cost of a new MS440. Stihl 045, 056, 051, 075, 076, 070, 090, 084 are a few of the saws that would be up to the task. Running Stihl 075/076 have been going for about $350 on eBay lately, and an 051 recently sold for around $300 or so.

I would seriously consider looking for a nice used saw. I bought my 066 completely rebuilt with OEM parts for much less than the cost of a new MS440. And my 075 (which I got for free, so for the sake of the math let's imagine I had paid $350 for it) and 076 TOGETHER cost less than $750 with bars and chains. You should check with Bill G and Tkemble, they seem to be good sources of used, big saws.

If you haven't spent any time behind a milling saw, you might want to get in touch with caseyforrest. Maybe you two could get together for another session of his "School Of Milling" here in Lansing. That way you could have some hand-on experience to gauge how much saw you'd want for a particular task. Here's a link to the last session: School Of Milling

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I guess It looks like compromising on the CS is not a good choice. 395 or MS 660 it is!

Hopefully by June I'll be in the game. Pictures of milled Michigan trees should start coming after that.

:rock:

I purchased both my Alaskan and milling saw, a Jonsered 920, off of ebay. Both were good to go out of the box with the exception of putting a ripping chain on the saw. The saw started on the second pull.

I've milled 28 inch oak with my MS460 mag, and it did fine, just a little slow, but not obscene slow like when I tried to mill that same width with a 365. If you're only going to mill every now and then, and you take it easy and take care of that saw and don't push the limits all day with it, you CAN get away with milling using a 70-75cc saw.

That said, as others have posted, when milling wood there is no substitute for raw power, simple as that. My 395 new cost me about $850 bucks, but it's at home running through 30 inch wide oak logs. I mill more than "when a family or friend has a downed tree" though. I started a small fledgling woodshop business where I have started to use the wood I mill, so I can justify that expense.

I have a 084 and 034 I picked up off ebay. Both good buys.

As for the saws, I'd get the ms440 now and save for the 660. If CSM milling works out for you, then get the 660 for slabbing and use the 440 for bucking or a mini-mill. If it doesn't, the 440 is a great saw just to have around.

ebay

I recently bought an 084 on ebay for $395 shipped that is running and milling very nicely for me. I looked for quite a while as these saws average $550-$600. I have found an actual discussion with the owner is very helpfull. This seller was the original owner and very up-front about the saw and it's condition. The auction was a buy it now, so I had to decide quickly.

I am with everyone else on the displacement arguement. I have an 044 and milled a few quartersawn oak pieces with it. It was not happy, but it worked.

I have also been watching 066's on ebay. Prices have not been too bad with several in the low $400's. Last week a nice one I was watching sold for $315 with the bar and chain. I fell asleep right befor it ended.

They are out there, but I would lobby for the 066. If I had one saw and wanted to do some milling, that would be it. I don't know much about the Orange saws, but a lot of people here have had good luck milling with a 395.

Good luck.

Why not get a 044/440, and for $100, throw a 046/460 oversize kit on it? provided you get a 440 needing a jug and piston/ parts saw.
There always seems to be a decent 064 needing rebuilt on ebay for not too much money, get one and throw a 660 kit on it.
-Ralph

Latest posts

Back