Comments on bandsaw mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice lookin' cedar. looks like you're getting hold of some good logs. like your setup too. do ya throw your slabs [or cut-offs] and scrap on the skidsteer and keep them hauled off? nice sawing site, hope you had some offbearing help so you could lay into sawing.

nice lookin' cedar. looks like you're getting hold of some good logs. like your setup too. do ya throw your slabs [or cut-offs] and scrap on the skidsteer and keep them hauled off? nice sawing site, hope you had some offbearing help so you could lay into sawing.

Yup...don't find them like this often....really tested the LM4 to the max! I have worked out a system to through the cuttings off the log using the mills hydraulics then onto the Skid's forks....a real labor savings for sure. My son (in the picture) is getting out of the army in 5 weeks and I will be relegated to helping him build the business.....Yes!!! in a worm and comfy office...at least most of the time. I am enjoying running the mill though....had to finish a job he took while on leave....then the jobs just kept coming.

DSCF0149.jpg

Last edited:
I have hired a Woodmizer hydraulic mill for 30,000+ BF of all sorts of work. They are good, but I second the special parts part...helped the guy with his electronics a couple times.

I also prefer the four post design. The cantilever works, but I've seen it give when the blade pulls up or down, and the linear bearings are pretty sophisticated.

Power feed and log lift are great, IF you are in a hurry or can't handle the stuff any other way. For modest quantities on your place and a little outside work, manual is the way to go.

I have hired a Woodmizer hydraulic mill for 30,000+ BF of all sorts of work. They are good, but I second the special parts part...helped the guy with his electronics a couple times.

I also prefer the four post design. The cantilever works, but I've seen it give when the blade pulls up or down, and the linear bearings are pretty sophisticated.

Power feed and log lift are great, IF you are in a hurry or can't handle the stuff any other way. For modest quantities on your place and a little outside work, manual is the way to go.

In my opinion, power feed is a must (but that's just my opinion). They aren't that hard to design & install on most mill's I've seen, and are well worth the effort and little expense no matter if your making a living with it, or cutting in the back yard.
If you don't have a log lift or tractor to load logs on a trailered mill, at the verry least get a small winch and a good set of ramps.
Work smarter, not harder. Your body will thank you when you start getting long in the tooth.

Andy

the rope crank feed on the Lt15 is pretty good..it really only wears on me when
cutting wider than 20 inches or so...

:greenchainsaw:

sawmilling keeps me out of the gym...

i've had to adjust the cantilever on my wm once since got it. got close to 400 hrs on it [it was sawin' when it was runnin']. course, it's been babied and not towed that much. like somebody else said the cantilever is good for skinnin' those oversize logs. like that powerfeed too. it was worth the extra cost when you know you're not as young as you used to be. would have loved to have the log lifter, but have rigged an electric winch to roll them up with.

Latest posts

Back