Commit a gaff?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commit a gaff?

• I NEVER gaff any tree that is not being removed.

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Gaff 'em all it don't matter!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I routinely gaff "trash" trees.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If other methods are too difficult/costly I gaff "trash"trees.

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
I would not want to find out what would happen if you were trying to put a rope into a tree with a throwbag and the throwline was dirty and went over the power lines by accident. Using spikes around power lines seems a LOT safer when you can't get a bucket truck to it. But I guess my common sense is not working as well as Ken's.

MM, I agree with you about the stupid plantings under powerlines. Kevin, I understand the nead for line clearing and think that rural right of way should be wide and clear. My gripe locally is that the crews have been running down the line chasing growth that was no/minimal risk. -On trees that were planted sensibly. One street of nice yards they literally took half the tops (not down, rather,one side). These trees were mostly good plantings. First the city widened the street and the utility had to move the line over. then the utility came back a few years later and butchered trees that were not interfering with the lines anyway. Lots of angry customers.

i was meaning planting trees to be butchered eternally right under the lines is questionable, already existing trees would be a diffrent matter and then choices have to be made.

Good point about throw bag, perhaps if you can't do it any other way insulated bucket is safest/best. Not sure i'm ready to relent that seeing as they are getting scalped/topped/ravaged anyway it is allowable to spur that damage on further.

After trying so hard to make things right, some line clearance trees seem to screach out at me in pain and abuse; but then fairly so; do others around town that get topped/buck by other companies. Especially when ya can see where it looks like they went up (or down?) 4x, always in a diffrent place starting from the ground.

property owner

Whoa Mike,
Don't want to burst your bubble on the each pays for his own thing. What about someone like me with a piece of land with a right-of-way of 151' wide for power line that serves others? right-of-way 10' for a sewer line that servers others? railroad 110' wide that serves others? Gas line12' wide that serves others, highway, 60'? If you give up 10 or more acres of ground for right-of-ways to serve the public ( I maintain 800' of my own powerline and phone line that I own). You are so myopic on this. I take back the right-of-ways and you have no High tention line, railroad, sewers, gas or highway, for an entire city, then what???? You don't sound like a land owner. You would probably want me to pay taxes on the land the public uses??? I want the roads, sewers, gas and the like but it should not be my burden to pay for all of it, especially when the public uses it and benefits from it. Rethink that one from the landowners perspective. I forgot the water lines that cross my place also. These things have to cross the farm to serve the public. Progress does not mean I pay for what you use, you have to pick up your share or live without.

Firstly I have put a throwline over HV (22,000) ... it was clean an dry .....it did take me a while though to go over an undo the bag though an pull the line down.I figured that if it was earthing it would have burnt through the line ....It maybe that I was just TOTALLY stupid so.....

>>>>>>>>ALL THE DISCLAIMERS ETC >>>>>>>>>>>>

My real gripe with Utilities is when you prune a tree well ...with all the proper clearances(I did 3 years as a Utility Arborist ) an they come and reprune it anyway...really BADLY most of the time just because of a quota system or a list etc.
Truth is that now if a tree is in a ROW or some such and their is a chance that it will be repruned I tell the customer not to bother.

My expirence is....... that the bottom line with with Power suppliers is that trees are a nusiance, costing them big bucks to
manage...just my opinion.

Also we would avoid using 'Spikes' as much as possible as they make you a better earth ...not something you want near powerlines.

Last edited:
Crap Geo, how much land do you own? :eek:
You make good points.
How about the power company does the initial clearing, and standard maintenance, and if the homeowner wants to grow rows of hybred poplars directly under the wires, he pays for the maintenance?

Power line clearance should be a homeowner responsibilty. Maybe then they wouldn't let a bunch of really trash invasive trees grow on their property.

Better yet, in Bavaria the utilities are underground. More expensive on the front end but less in the long run.

Utility guys have lines as their priority. That is what they do - take care of LINES. Non utility arborists take care of TREES.

power lines

Virginia Tech has a power line/tree diagram that works but very few homeowners are not aware of it. Here the powerline guys trim it back but leave the lower stuff for the cable co.( who rarely trim) and the phone co. (who rarely trim), the latter come out only when there is a tree laying on the line. Mike, two of the farms are on PENN DOT'S list to be highways in the years to come. They came out and asked for 500' for a right-of-way, came back and said they needed 1,000' then came back a third time and said they needed 25 acres for a four lane. The other farm they said they wanted the entire place up front for a four lane toll road. The farms are 100 miles apart. Which is cheaper a farm or 66 homes and two car dealers??? A farm in a valley or remove 450' of a hill ( well over 1,000,000 yards of earth)??? The yuppies are building homes about two miles away from one and paying about $120,000 an acre for land. 1/3 acre lots for $44,000, six miles out, yuppies are paying $10 a square foot. They need a four lane for all the traffic and the yuppies need their heads examined for paying so much for land. What is the right-of-way worth?? meandering off topic, If the power co. did not have to do so much Public Relations work and just came in and cleared the right-of-ways millions of trees would be gone. Small trees under the lines, 25' away larger trees and standard trees not closer than 50' of the right-of-way. Now how are you going to get the homeowner to agree to that if their lot is small and they want a shade tree? In europe the lines are underground, at least in the towns in Germany I visited. Electrifying rural America was okay for a work project years ago but rural America is now the suburbs and no one taught the homeowner that trees should not be planted under the powerlines. It takes a generation to teach the people to change. If you teach the children now, you will not see the change untill they are home buyers in the future. If you past a law today it would still take a generation until the public got used to the idea of no tree lined streets or smaller trees at least. There used to be a standard maple tree on our street about every 25' or so, about 100 trees. The boro repaved the road and removed all the roots on one side of the trees in the process. Two years later they put in new waterlines and removed the roots on the other side of the trees, then the next year they cut down all the trees because they were dying. So now, new ordinances, you can only plant ornimentals close to the street. The powerlines are on the other side of the street and one by one the trees on the other side are being cut down and replaced with smaller trees.Too much rambling on. I'm going to sharpen my saws.

Small lot and want a shade tree? Quercus robur 'Fastigiata' or any other specimin with a like cv nomenclature. Acer plantinoides 'Columnar'...

There is a town in Chicogoland that has an ordinace where the the utility can remove any tree they can justify, but must give the customer a coupon for a replacement off a list of approved trees.

Wellllllllllll; i'm not sure of the rural issues and how to deal with such expansion fairly, presently my cries are for the oaks planted in city right of way between sidewalk and street, that get blatantly butchered "V" for the lines to run , be safe etc. Sometimes that also goes to eternally siding out something (esp. North side in N. hemisphere) so weight of tree is steered towards house, a lot of times with rot on the tensioned wood holding it back from rot setting in after cutting and abusing. Or the whole tree diseased/dying from compounded abuse while listing so towards a home, then there is nothing over the wires, so electric company isn't worried (or so it seems around here sometimes).

i know that a lot of those are city planted, some before the conception of the power lines fairly, but some not. The more i care for the magestic giants, the more they seem to cry out when set to such a crippling life, and mutely testifying to man's carving out whatever he wants without taking much of a look at what he is doing.

i see these billboards all around me.

I guess they have to do what they have to, minimum clearances and all, but I wish someone would require tham to at least make proper cuts, not leave stubs, etc.

And on those trees that Spider described, maybe they could contact the homeowners and at least suggest removal? This might prevent at least some of the future hazards they leave us to deal with, before twenty years have passed by and they're full of decay.

--Fred

gaff

There are three publications that ought to be mailed to every homeowner who has a powerline with a tree conflict or just mail it to them with their monthly statement once a year. The trade a tree at www.ci.columbia.mo.us/dept/wl/t-trade.htm, ohioline.osu.edu/b845/b846 and www.ext.vt.edu and search for trees and shrubs foroverhead utility easements. The need is to teach the public what works to keep the power on without the cost of constant pruning. These would make good fliers for those of us with less than perfect people skills to explain to customers what is better for the powerlines than risking my life to ugly up your tree. Gaffs or no gaffs.

Back