compact 4x4 tractor or big atv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohotobucket sucks, i made my 2ns pic the right size and now i made it to small but it still wont show up at the right size?

I used both, I find the attached pic of my Kubota BX25 to be the easiest when it comes to wood. No trailer to worry about. In the pic, I using Payne detactable forks that I bought from Northern Tool. Take it from me, when you get older, it's nice to have a tractor with a front loader to do your lifting and make wheel barrows obsolete.

There's a thread called, ' logging with a tractor' , by Gypo, great thread when considering logs and a tractor.

Another thread, in the firewood forum, " tractor in the woodlot" or something like that, its a long thread, lots of photos of everyones different setups.

Do some searching and you find them. It'll give you lots of ideas.

Like I said before, I like my Gator for collecting firewood, and the 165 Massey for firewood too.

But today I was cutting on a bunch that Super3 came up and helped me drop. I skidded out a 45" maple truck that was 20' long, and we have a John Deere 7820 front wheel assist that had all it could do to skid it out. I thought I was going to have to get our 9400 out for a little extra grunt.

I have been using an old 8n ford tractor for pulling out my wood for the past 9 years or so. I pull a 4x7 farm trailer that has a box I added on the front that carries my saws, gas etc. I go most anywhere in the woods with it and since it is small I can usually get right up to my wood to load. I would have to say a tractor is the way to go.

Like I said before, I like my Gator for collecting firewood, and the 165 Massey for firewood too.

But today I was cutting on a bunch that Super3 came up and helped me drop. I skidded out a 45" maple truck that was 20' long, and we have a John Deere 7820 front wheel assist that had all it could do to skid it out. I thought I was going to have to get our 9400 out for a little extra grunt.

So now we're showing off:cheers: skidding 5 ton logs. Forget the notch and drop, get a dozer blade for the 9400 and push them over.:clap::clap:

Last edited:
I like the combination of tractor and atv. I usually cut in the spring, haul in the late summer/fall. ATV gets the brunt of use in the spring and then the tractor in the fall for hauling but have used both.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Use both

We have a old Massy Harris 50 tractor we keep at are hunting land. Mostly used for opening the trails to the stands. But is used a lot to help out with the firewood chores. Here is a picture of me loading a elm log to go for lumber, my uncle wanted it for making bowls on his wood lathe. It has a really neat grain pattern to it.
attachment.php

I also have a Polaris 6X6 that has a 850lb payload in the dump bed alone. Sure does come in handy when it is to wet for the tractor or when i do not have the tractor around.
attachment.php

There is times the atv is handier to have then there is times the tractor is handier to have.

Beefie

I used both, I find the attached pic of my Kubota BX25 to be the easiest when it comes to wood. No trailer to worry about. In the pic, I using Payne detactable forks that I bought from Northern Tool. Take it from me, when you get older, it's nice to have a tractor with a front loader to do your lifting and make wheel barrows obsolete.

This is the same as dads kubota with forks. He use's the bucket and forks to push the brush into a pile then we burn it later. Saves a tremendous amount of handling brush by hand. Then he use's it to load the logs into the wheat truck to haul home. For any logs to big I use my backhoe with forks in the bucket + I can stack the logs a lot higher in the dump bed.

I have a sportsman 500 great reliable machince but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a compact tractor.My uncle has a 03 new holland tc33 with a loader awesome unit.Being a mechanic working on all kinds of equipment at the shop. I would lean towards a 30-40 hp size nothing smaller only because sub compacts are very easily over worked.But if you a carefull with them as far as work loads they are great.With a tractor you have the option of 3 pt stuff like a splitter.

I have both, and after using them , I would advise to get a tractor with a FEL and a 3pt hitch.

I have a 07 grizzly 700 atv and I love the machine. It is great on the trails with the power steering. I use it a lot during hunting season. It pulls a 12x7 enclosed decoy trailer out into fields for goose hunting, as well as , fetching deer.

I can change the clutch with my eyes shut now because I have done it so many times. Pulling trailers with wood just speeds up the demise ! In its defense I am using it for something it was not intend or designed to do(pulling heavy loads). I have over 3k miles on it in two years.

It does come in handy if we are working in the woods and need to run back to the house for something but........... its just not meant to pull heavy loads

A 1985 kubota L235 4x4 came up on the radar and I scarfed it up cheap. It has a front end loader and pulls like a little tug boat.

With a tractor you can add so many more attachments such as a carry all , grapple , forks etc etc. Plus the tractor was made to "pull" things like trailers.

If I had one machine for firewood and around the yard stuff it would be a tractor hands down.

Just my .02

we have a Polaris ranger with the dump box we take it of to places a tractor can only dream of going fill it up over the cab haul it to the truck or trailer and go back for more.

I just sold my Rhino 660 and do miss it a little. If I didn't have the tractor I wouldn't have sold it. Now that I've owned a tractor for a few years I can't for the life of me remember what I did without it. I agree with the recommendations in this thread completely, go with the tractor if you can afford it. I can get my 32 hp Kubota almost anywhere the Rhino and trailer would go. You do, however, need the appropriate truck and trailer to tow a 4-6,000lb tractor and it doesn't leave a lot of room to haul firewood. Also, if you live in the concrete jungle and don't have a use for the tractor other than firewood an ATV might be the better route. Tractor use can be relatively expensive compared to using an ATV

If the tractor is out of the budget a Jeep (mentioned previously) can be very practical as well. I use my Jeep and winch far more than I thought I would for collecting firewood. A friend has an old 22' bunk style boat trailer that has been "flipped" over to be used as a logging arch. The tongue was cut and turned 180 and the axles are now on what used to be the top. The crank winch was relocated and is still used, the trailer works great behind my Jeep. I use the Jeep for work, wheeling, two tracking, the dunes, Sunday ice cream runs, pulling trees down, and much much more. Not a whole lot of room to haul wood, but they'll pull a little utility trailer, no problem.

Wow!...Hope you have some wheel weights on the back????

Tractor.

I wouldn't trade my New Holland TC-35 for anything, but I will say that if my wife ever figures out how to use the Backhoe attachment nobody would ever find my body!!! :buttkick:

A 4wd tractor wins hands down imo especialy one with a fel you will never ever run out of things it will do for you.

Yanmar makes great little 4wd diesels and reasonable too I have one and like it a lot.

Kansas

A 4wd tractor wins hands down imo especialy one with a fel you will never ever run out of things it will do for you.

Yanmar makes great little 4wd diesels and reasonable too I have one and like it a lot.

Kansas

:agree2:

4x4 tractor with FEL and a cat1 3-pt hitch. It does everything else your chainsaw can't do. :cheers:

Back