Compost site treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookpederson

Prairie Lumberjack
Reaction score
It's been a good year scrounging at the local compost site. Red elm and red 2 red elm burls, some white cedar. Earlier I pulled out 3 ERCedar logs but they are cut up already. I love our compost site its a log pickers dream. Any body else have any compost site pics, put them up!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

The city invested in a grinder and likes to keep it busy. Stuff like that is chipped up before it gets to the site. They're afraid someone will hurt themself with a chain saw and sue. Really sad some of the stuff that gets chipped.

Ours gets ground up once a year. But they push it up with a payloader once or twice a week. So Its lucky I'm dumping out there at least oNce a day.

I used to be in ours a couple times a month and the guys were used to me. I always did stuff that kinda amazed them. They used to move the site around as it filled up, before they started grinding. At one site they had a giant block of concrete with a ring in it for hanging a chain. I had put 8' sides on my F250, and would pack it tight. I put a 5/8 bull line under the pile and would tie off to the ring in the block of concrete. When I pulled out it would leave a perfect cube of brush 8' tall. People would come in and just stare at it. When they moved to the new permanent site and I didn't have a pulling post, and if no one else was around, they would let me tie off to one of the big track machines, and they would pull the load off. One day I asked if I could tie off to the machine and he said no, there were other people there and he wasn't allowed to "help" unload. So, he said just throw your rope over the pile and pull off, it'll hang up on something. I'm thinking , your nuts, but did what he said. As soon as I threw the rope over the pile he pulled up on it with the track machine, I pulled the load off, he backed up, and all was good. Then I bought the dump trailer. Now you can dump blocked up wood, but no logs, Joe.

American elm log today. This is the type of log that makes me want to get a CSM. 7' long and 47" dia. Way too big for my bandsaw mill.

American elm log today. This is the type of log that makes me want to get a CSM. 7' long and 47" dia. Way too big for my bandsaw mill.

At least get a 4' bar & a big saw so you can quarter it. There'd be some seriously nice lumber in that log!

At least get a 4' bar & a big saw so you can quarter it. There'd be some seriously nice lumber in that log!

That sounds all good and well but a 4 foot bar is big $ and hard to keep oiled and takes a big saw to pull. Better just to get a 32 or 36 and free hand the cut then turn and finish. I have done this and it works good. Just my .02 cents though.
jnl

Another score today. Someone dumped some nice walnut, can't belive they didn't want it. Maybe its full of metal. Better run a metal detector over it. Biggest one is 22"

They let us scrounge the sites here but NO saws allowed :mad: recently they have been enforcing the 300# rule so a lot of thing are cut up pretty small.

Another score today. Someone dumped some nice walnut, can't belive they didn't want it. Maybe its full of metal. Better run a metal detector over it. Biggest one is 22"

Hey nice trailer. How do you get logs loaded? I've considered elec winch mounted tongue for better mounting with hole drilled in dump box to pass shackle through or even floor mounted crane. I would use mine for dirt so not sure on crane.

Latest posts

Back