Composting Pine bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upnorth4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a log barn using pine logs. I've pealed about thirty logs so far and the bark pealings are really building up. I've been burning some of them but the dont make the best fuel. I know that a good compost requires some about of wood, but does bark count?
Has anyone tried adding bark to a composte pile?

BTW. I did a tonne of reasearch on log construction before starting, and none of it indicated how long the pealing process is... WOW it is a HUGE task.

I'm in the process of building a log barn using pine logs. I've pealed about thirty logs so far and the bark pealings are really building up. I've been burning some of them but the dont make the best fuel. I know that a good compost requires some about of wood, but does bark count?
Has anyone tried adding bark to a composte pile?

BTW. I did a tonne of reasearch on log construction before starting, and none of it indicated how long the pealing process is... WOW it is a HUGE task.

Hi mate, ive been hunting high and low for info on log cabins, all i could find was useless kitsets from walmart. where did you get your info from? would be interested to hear on how you get on also.

i have dispersed a tonne of bark, you just need to hire or borrow a large chipper / shredder (NOT a dedicated chipper) the one i hired was a bearcat, and a high side trailer. sell the chip or give it to your neighbours. use a fertiliser high in nitrogen when using fresh pine bark for the perfect mulch, unless you have super soil that would break down a v8 hemi.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back