Compressed wood bricks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marklambert61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone tried the ECO bricks or other compressed sawdust bricks?
I'm considering making a big investment to start production of this type of fuel wood, however I would like to know how the everyday burner feels about the product.

Mark

could be wrong, but I don't think most of the guys here are burning much if any of those... to me the people buying those are the same people that buy bundled firewood...personally I don't go to the hardware store to fuel my wood burner...

Are you talking the bricks that have accelerant added so they are match light? Or the ones which basically take the place of regular firewood.

I have a city dwelling friend who I have given wood to. He uses one of the match light bricks to get the fire going. Says the brick will burn for about an hour but they are about $3 each. I told him to learn how to start a fire with newspaper.

Several things to keep in mind. It depends on the wood that is being used to make the compressed bricks. An outfit up the road from me about 40 miles makes them with their sawdust and shavings and they call them "ECO" bricks. It is a large cabinet shop and the bricks are a by-product of making cabinets. The price is comparable to what the going price for a cord of wood is here locally. They burn well. They are clean, no bark or dirt, and the come in manageable size packaging. Other than the fact that they cost money, the only other draw back is that if they get wet you end up with saw dust. They have to be kept in a dry environment.

I think they are a good use of a byproduct of another process, such as a mill using it's sawdust. I think there are people that would use them if they were economically viable. The same people that burn pellets, after they switch stoves. I live near where Bear Bricks are made. I don't see myself ever using them. After I get to the point I can't cut firewood for myself, I'll just turn up my heat pump or buy firewood. My Dad, at 80 has cut firewood for other people (doesn't have a stove himself), my grandfather cut into his 80's.

Viable investment is somewhere around $150K to start(that would be very minimal). Around here its about $5 for 20 p0unds of those Eco bricks retail , that works out to $612/ton. I do remember that the estimate is 1 pallet of eco bricks = apx 1 cord of good firewood btu wise- just do not remember the weight if a pallet at present for comparison costs . In theory the retail cost of the bricks should be about equal to a cord( here average is $250/ cord mixed hardwood- same as pellets, about $250-299/ton, to be a viable function)) They really haven't caught on and then you have a lot of stove mfg saying using those voids warranty. That doesn't due much for sales as a business model- stand alone function. I have heard of but never been able to get my hands on the Idaho Energy logs - not distributed in my area. I have used a bunch compressed block products for my own edification. My take at present is great for the ambiance,casual,weekend cabin burners. So it is a niche sales area and very cyclic .
I also looked into , rather in depth, a stand alone production system - for me the the logistics were killers on the idea. As an add on to an existing business to use what would otherwise be waste requiring expenditure to get rid of it can work out or at least break even on a 7 year depreciation schedule. If you can garner enough Govt. subsidies to offset the intial equipment acquisition and operational costs say for 2-3 years it might fly. Sourcing , transport of raw materials - storage of same, and then storage and distribution of finished product are the devil details that can and will eat you alive. The actual equipment cost/ run is trivial in comparison. I do not mean to be discouraging- rather present this quick over sight as a informational post for a start to a business model. Chris

Latest posts

Back