Compression - How low is too low?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnt03

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have a Husq 41 that doesn't want to stay running. Haven't torn the carb apart yet but it seems to be getting fuel (plug is wet). Also getting good spark. Tested compression, only around 70psi and looks like some scoring on the walls. So, as the title says, how low is too low?

Have a Husq 41 that doesn't want to stay running. Haven't torn the carb apart yet but it seems to be getting fuel (plug is wet). Also getting good spark. Tested compression, only around 70psi and looks like some scoring on the walls. So, as the title says, how low is too low?

Under 110

Thats' probably 65# too low.

I think you'd want to see 120 minimum. But that's just my opinion. It may run with less, but at 70, I'm not surprised it won't run.

In your case, less than 120, but that's not a rule of thumb if you play in the vintage world.

Seems like I heard once upon a time that you need around 120 psi for an engine to run. I suspect that is about as low as it needs to go. Some of the engineering types may chime in and give specifics, but you prolly need to do some wrenching on your saw.

I have several old reed valve saws that will run OK at around 100 PSI. 120 is about the minimum for a piston port saw. There are a few exceptions, but the 41 is not one of them.

I have several old reed valve saws that will run OK at around 100 PSI. 120 is about the minimum for a piston port saw. There are a few exceptions, but the 41 is not one of them.

That's encouraging. I picked up a decent looking Homelite C-52 and only see 120psi. It will run with a prime, so likely needs a carb kit and/or fuel lines. What little of the cylinder I can see through the sparkplug and exhaust look fine. It has a distinctive bark to it.:msp_w00t:

One 2-stroke expert, in his book, says 90 psi is the go/no-go cutoff.

The issue is start/no-start.

It's best to rebuild or freshin it up. You're doing more harm than good running a saw that's low compression. It could be a simple replacements of the rings to begin with. As I was always told proactive is more productive than reactive . Dont wait for it die.

rings are consumables.

I've seen saws run OK at 110PSI, and some won't even start with that compression?

Latest posts

Back