Compression In Different Engines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO you can't tell that by compression alone. You really need to look at the piston. Once the machining grooves are gone your risk of cracking a piston goes up exponentially. Sometimes compression is still good when this happens.
Good point. When do you see a significant drop in power related to compression readings 135 PSI and lower or so?

Good point. When do you see a significant drop in power related to compression readings 135 PSI and lower or so?
Really depends on what you started with. I have had when new 200psi engines and as low as 140psi engines.
The other thing is many compression gauges are often garbage and give BS readings that are inaccurate and not repeatable. If you have an interest in it I would make sure to spend the money on a quality piece.
When I was running chainsaws daily I would re ring after a year as the power would start to go down. After two years I would relegate to spair duty.

Depends on where it started. 120-130 was normal 40 years ago for some. At the same time there were some wildcat jreds, Dolmars, and huskies that had 200 out of the box. And even today they range from 130-200 psi new. Certainly aren’t any hard fast rules about what saws in general should be

At what point are they needing a rebuild, in your opinion?
Hey mate, If it’s a saw I’d put new rings in at 140 and piston swap when it’s around 0.12- 0.14mm skirt to wall clearance that’s when slap becomes audible in these. I had asked Jerry this question a few years ago and found it to be spot on. Every time I heard slap I began to be able to estimate the clearance. I’d take the machine apart and measure it and be very close. What about you?

Husky workshop manuals are awesome, they give more specs than stihl.

Hey mate, If it’s a saw I’d put new rings in at 140 and piston swap when it’s around 0.12- 0.14mm skirt to wall clearance that’s when slap becomes audible in these. I had asked Jerry this question a few years ago and found it to be spot on. Every time I heard slap I began to be able to estimate the clearance. I’d take the machine apart and measure it and be very close. What about you?

Husky workshop manuals are awesome, they give more specs than stihl.
Be careful if you ever have to work on a 592, 084, or 3120. You will get caught in an endless loop of replacing rings and pistons even though they are brand new.

Leakdown testers are free. It all depends on how you look at it.

TDC 150 psi of air in the spark plug hole as it was shut down last.

Add oil.

Do it again.

What did your ear tell you?

Do you honestly think I bought a leak tester at nine years old?

Leakdown testers are free. It all depends on how you look at it.

TDC 150 psi of air in the spark plug hole as it was shut down last.

Add oil.

Do it again.

What did your ear tell you?

Do you honestly think I bought a leak tester at nine years old?
It’s much more likely you spent your $ on weed and a bong at 9 years old

Back