compromise...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking at various age trucks for some time. Ideally, I wanted a tandem axle box truck to mount my piggyback forklift on. Okay, so that's a dream. $$$$! I decided to wait after reading several threads on pickups, for lack of which brand, and what seemed like a lot of bucks for ten year old trucks, and then possibly add the expense of a trailer. Anyway, I get a voice mail from a neighbor who co-owns a business with three other guys. They have three trucks going to auction in a week. Stop by the shop if interested. Short of it, I bought a 12' flatbed, 2000 GMC Topkick 5500, six speed manual, with a 3126 Cat. gvw 20,500. gcvw 37,000+, and all the shop records, for half of what most of the pickups were listed for. Topped off the tanks and weighed it at the truck stop. 11,060# which yeilds 9440 payload. Internet, read, expect 8-10 mpg. So now I'm thinking trailers. Forklift is 8'2" wide. Over deck, tilt bed, gooseneck? Is a 12' bed too long for a gooseneck, or would I have to cut 3' off the truck? If I load the truck with palletized wood and pull a small trailer/forklift, will the empty truck, in the winter, with a loaded trailer (6,000 # forklift) get squirrelly? Maybe gooseneck? What do you look for in a good built trailer with so many brands out there? Looked at PJs on line; they have several ramp choices. Three, four ramp, and two huge mega ramps. My forklift has three wheels. Simply can not move much wood here without delivering.

round here seen those 3 wheel forks on the back of delivery trucks for bricks and the like, They are on some sort of lift at the end of the bed.

You're probably better off with a pintle hitch. That won't interfere with anything you might be hauling on the truck bed. Given the size of your forklift, you should be able to find a used equipment trailer fairly easily. Depending on the rating of your Cat, you can turn those up to produce respectable horsepower, but reduced lifespan if you flog it too hard.

Back