Considering a Stihl? Here's something to consider

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
You keep saying "we"..

I have a long list of "we" as well.

What if this "OP" pissed you off??????

This would be a good thread>>>>>

We both are here, etc.......

Just trying to keep it real....

You may have a lot more sway at your Stihl Dealership, but please don't intimate that that scenario is the norm....

I no longer work for those big dealers because of the warranty thing, they make no sense.

But, step back on this thread, I think there is some more to consider here, if not, well...........

I'm with ya Fish. In my deep thought and crystal ball I think I know clearly exactly what took place. One was wishing for how soon and the other was saying not now if ya knows what I means and I know you know exactly what I mean, it happens all the time. That little word no and not now is hard to accept at times especially if told in the wrong tone.

I've never had a problem with doing warranty for Stihl. In fact they, in almost 20 years now, have never once denied me a claim. Topping that they always credit the account within 48 hours of any warranty work I submit. Course now I don't file any bogus claims and anything major I call first before chancing it and hoping they approve it. I always know beforehand on anything big whether its approved before I do the work. I've also stepped up to the plate when they got a complaining customer from another dealer and helped them out, it pays off good.

How good well let me tell ya. My leak down tester went kapoot 2 weeks ago, guages just quit working, I was like what the hell. Thing is about 7-8 years old, cost over 150.00, got it from Stihl. I figured what the heck, maybe I can get new guages for it or have it fixed. So I called down to Stihl, got my main man on the phone and asked him is there some way to fix this tester. He goes sure is, file warranty on it and get a new one. I was like wow. I told him well I'll send you the old one and maybe you can get it working. He says no, he didn't need it, just file a claim on it and get a new one. I was like yes sir ree. Got the new tester in and when my rep comes in I'm gonna ask him if he wants the old one, if not she's going in file 13...

Last edited:

Fish

Tree Freak
We are both from the same world.

And you know it!

Yes, I have only worked for small stihl dealers, and you for the "biggun"...

But the same goal, as a tech.....

I always keep the customers happy, if I can.. But I doubt it....

PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow! Wow! Wow! Whew!

The train's agoing now.

I don't hafta, but I'm gonna ask...

How does a flap get bent in a carb? I'm not saying it can't, couldn't, wouldn't, or won't ever happen, just wondering how it does happen?

I took one apart once (or lots of times) and just not able to get it into my thick skull how this happened.

It's a bit perplexing. Would you call it a Conundrum?

Last edited:
THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
We are both from the same world.

And you know it!

Yes, I have only worked for small stihl dealers, and you for the "biggun"...

But the same goal, as a tech.....

I always keep the customers happy, if I can.. But I doubt it....

Yes we is, we both have pretty much seen it all. I'm sure you will agree most folks, I'd say at least 98% are good folks and easy to please. Then theres that 1% that is a mights touchy and that last 1% you can't please no matter what you do. Thats when we break out the scatter gun and sendem packing. You use double buck?, I prefer bird shot, scatters better, cheers!!!!

Fish

Tree Freak
Yes we is, we both have pretty much seen it all. I'm sure you will agree most folks, I'd say at least 98% are good folks and easy to please. Then theres that 1% that is a mights touchy and that last 1% you can't please no matter what you do. Thats when we break out the scatter gun and sendem packing. You use double buck?, I prefer bird shot, scatters better, cheers!!!!

Birds are much softer.....

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Wow! Wow! Wow! Whew!

The train's agoing now.

I don't hafta, but I'm gonna ask...

How does a flap get bent in a carb? I'm not saying (at this time) it can't, couldn't, wouldn't, or won't ever happen, just wondering how it does happen?

I took one apart once (or lots of times) and just not able to get it into my thick skull how this happened.

It's a bit perplexing. Would you call it a Conundrum?

Never seen one do that either, kinda hard to curl up when its under a flat plate. Not faulting the OP though, I think what he actually saw was a flap that was stuck. When he pulled the plate off it came up with it. A stuck flapper, known as a check valve will indeed cause alot of running problems. Regardless the aftermath of the curled up flapper has turn into quite a enjoyable thread,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Actually, had I known that most of the readers of this forum seem to be pros, I would not have started in the first place.

I suspect the majority of members on this forum are not pros. But there are a few pros who like to talk pretty loud. :D :D :D

There also are some hobbyists who talk loud here.

It's less about who is a pro and who is a weekend warrior and a lot more about individual personality. The longer you stay, the more you'll learn about the posting personalities of the active members. And I used the "posting" on purpose, because I've met scores of people in person only after having met them first in forums such as this, and they are NEVER what I've come to expect based on their posts. :) :)

Fish

Tree Freak
Either way.......

EHHH?????

If a new guy can start one thread on this forum, then to be fair we should be able to add to it.

If this guy got his feelings hurt, and so on, then that is about it......

He was seriously wronged, all of us quite agree......................................................

I am ashamed to work on this crap,,,, really..........

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
Either way.......

EHHH?????

If a new guy can start one thread on this forum, then to be fair we should be able to add to it.

He was seriously wronged, all of us quite agree......................................................

True poetry! You are a man of many talents, Fish!

user 64030

user 64030

ArboristSite Guru
....treated very poorly and given grief for not buying the weedeater there. I was humiliated in front of other customers and then got embarassed at asking for the work....

Never had this happen with a saw, but w/ an ATV same situation low volume dealers hate that you buy elsewhere then want them to do any warranty work. I have just told any dealer that I didn't buy from, that I just lived elswhere when purchased they seem to be OK w/ that. :)

Had a husky string trimmer that I bought @ a bigbox, gt it home and fuel it and it just won't rev, look at the bright yellow paper that says don';t take it back, call 1-800-xxxxxxx and get your claim etc. Do that and they then say take it to joe blow... I hate joe blow. Wouldn't let that place sharpen a chain. What to do though the warranty number they gave me was for that dealer. So off it goes and a week later I have it back, no complaints on their service, but they are just generally rude with a "we don't have time for you unless your dropping 5 figures on a mower" attitude.. I toasted it about 6 months later, using it w/ a brush blade, now I own a Stihl :)

My Stihl guy is, to me top notch. Had my 361 in twice for a bad coil. Thought for sure the 2nd time it was out of warranty, but they told me coils are lifetime. I searched the web and Stihls site said only 1 year, maybe 2 if you link it under the emissions clause mentioned elsewhere in this thread.... but I didn't pay for it so I'm not complaining. The only bad thing was of course I wanted my saw to run that second, and it wouldn't :(

dw

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Thank God, I done business with the same dealer for close to 30 years, loyal as a dog to him and he know it, he's rewarded my loyalty with pretty good discounts on chain and mix, and parts. We still get steely eyed on trades, new saw purchases he usually shows me his cost and we'll come to an agreement as to what a fair margin is, I expect him to make money or he wouldn't be in business. For they guys that are true commercial customers, if your a loyal customer, and have a break down, just take your saw in and you go to the front of the line, usually fixed that day if they have the parts which 90% of the time they will.
Shoot we'll sit by each other at ball games even though our kids compete against each other. If you see him or any of his staff,techs out in public they'll go out of their way to say hello and ask how it's going.
It's nice to be spoiled by and old time customer service comes first type dealer. Loyalty goes a long way, I could prolly save a dollar of too shopping around, hell he know it, but he knows at the end of the day I'll be in to buy anything I can off him and the reward is great customer service, great pricing and at the end of the day both he and I have developed a good relationship outside of the business one. Almost without exception every limiter had been jerked off saws that have them, most are muffler modded, he just smiles and says no problem, just you and me know about it, if their is a warranty issue he'll take care of it regardless of the modification.
I sure there are the same kind of guys out there selling Huskies, Dolmars, Jonsreds, etc, their the kind of guys that have a thriving business. I'm spoiled as hell when it comes to my dealer and proud of it.
There will always be great, good, mediocre and pizz poor dealers, the corporations, whether it be Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, whatever simply can't be out there policing the dealers everyday.
People have to have reasonable expectations, whether it be a lawn mower, string trimmer or chain saws in peak season they are usually backed up.

NORMZILLA44

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
A year ago I bought a new MS260 and received help from this forum. Basically, it was "You got a great saw....stick with it." They were right, it is a great saw and I have enjoyed using it. BUT I recently had an eye opener that may help someone make some decisions. Just past the warranty period, the saw broke down. It had had problems starting off and on but I put up with it. After contacting 2 dealers and then the company, I was appalled by the rude and don't give a ---- attitude of the people I spoke with. I was not looking for anything free; willing to pay the going rate. Finally called a friend out west who works for them and he told me "Fix it yourself; here's how." Rebuilding the carb after finding the defective part, and it's working fine.
But here's the point. If you're considering a new saw, and hearing from someone "Stihl is number 1" you may want to consider that there are other fine makes with guys who love their saws. You're not just buying a tool because it cuts fast; you may need to have dealings with the company that made it. And when they grow to be number one, the little guy is just a speck. If they're rude to him and he goes somewhere else, who cares? So you might want to seriously consider that saw from competition if they can treat you with respect. Yes, I paid over $500 and got a saw, but I learned a lesson that you're buying more than just the saw! I'm certainly not saying the company is filled with bad people. But 4 in a row? To me, that's unacceptable.
Yes a good brand is key, warranties are good sure. But the best thing you can find is a great shop. It does not matter the make or model if you have a ####ty shop to deal with. Mine got the carb warrantied on my echo pole saw. It was not even a warranty item, but because of an outstanding shop, echo covered it. Even with a warranty depending on the shop, and who is working with you, you may or may not get squared away. I am very fortunate I have made real good friend's with the father, and son owner's where I go. Hunt down a good shop, frequent it alot, ask question's to learn, and this also let's them know a guy is not a know it all. Yes fixing all you can youreself is a big key as well. I am still learning and do alot myself. I can't do it all yet but I get better, and better every day. Sorry about your bad experience, but Stihl is a great brand. But you are also right there are other great brand's as well. I try and own all, or give all a chance. Did not read thread all the way through, but just thought I would chime in. Norm.......

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm with ya Fish. In my deep thought and crystal ball I think I know clearly exactly what took place. One was wishing for how soon and the other was saying not now if ya knows what I means and I know you know exactly what I mean, it happens all the time. That little word no and not now is hard to accept at times especially if told in the wrong tone.

Brother Hall is a smart man....that's why I like him so much and love to pester him....LOLOL.

Good crystal ball you have there, BTW:hmm3grin2orange:

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Either way.......

EHHH?????

ROLF, Fish, you have been too long in this business, me guess.

If you'd be working for me, I'd put you in the dark room far away in the back and if I got a 'difficult" customer, I would go 'Well Sir, for special customers like you, we have a "customer relations manager" in da back who will gladly handle your complaints......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Fish

Tree Freak
No Crystal ball, in fact, I am very cordial in dealing with customers. But if a guy comes in with a 14 month old saw with a carb problem
expecting warranty, I tell him up front that Stihl likely will not cover it, and he will have to pay for the repair.

Actually I am quite an advocate for the customer, like when I worked in the dealership in Louisville, and we had a bunch of peeing Zamas,
obviously a defect that the only fix suggested by Stihl was a new carb, had one that was only a few weeks out of warranty, and they
wouldn't let me cover it. Pissed me off.

But here, this is a public forum, and a guy that doesn't get his way on a warranty question, so he takes his gripe public.

Stirring up the villagers here....

I come along and question the story, because it sounds like there is some bull in it.

The saw is out of the warranty period for starts, but the repair would not have been covered anyway, so this is a lot of typing over much of nothing, eh?

jalan

jalan

ArboristSite Lurker
Before the village disturber leaves....

Just reading the Federal Emission Control Warranty Statement in the manual that came with the saw.

“….first two full years of engine use from the date of sale……..Your emission control system includes such parts as the carburetor and the ignition system………..The warranty repairs will be completed in a reasonable amount of time not to exceed 30 days.”

I have repeatedly stated that my calls were about length of time I’d be without the saw, NOT about free warranty work. Forum wisdom has determined that I really was trying to get free work, that carbs are not covered, and I was out of order calling to get an estimate of time.

What is the correct understanding of the above statements in my manual?

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
From chainsaws to the economy...its the same in every facet of life. We are taught from a very early age if we whine enough we will get our way...its the "lazy liberal way"!
LMAO - In my experience people that lack manners come from all sorts of political affiliations. Speaking of poor manners - people who want to get worked up in a lather about how evil the other team is seem to find a way to insert that into most any conversation, no matter how totally irrelevant it might be.

K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping

ArboristSite Operative
Just reading the Federal Emission Control Warranty Statement in the manual that came with the saw.

“….first two full years of engine use from the date of sale……..Your emission control system includes such parts as the carburetor and the ignition system………..The warranty repairs will be completed in a reasonable amount of time not to exceed 30 days.”

I have repeatedly stated that my calls were about length of time I’d be without the saw, NOT about free warranty work. Forum wisdom has determined that I really was trying to get free work, that carbs are not covered, and I was out of order calling to get an estimate of time.

What is the correct understanding of the above statements in my manual?

To me, I thought it was pretty clear from your very first post that you were NOT seeking a free repair. Reading comprehension is sometimes lost when someone is in a rush to form an opinion. I'm not trying to single anyone out, just making a general statement.