Control Tree Growth by Partial Ringing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefrog

Reaction score
I have several trees in my yard, ash and mulberry, 20 - 30' tall. I would prefer not to have them "topped" to control growth. Years ago I read that growth can be controlled by partial "ringing" at the base of the tree. Any advice or instructions?

Hey Ron...your first thread and it's a doozy...I'm sitting here scratching my head. No wait...an idea. How about bark inversion. Remove a strip of bark and replace it inverted. The inverted polarity of the phloem temporarily slows vegetative growth. Never done it...never seen it done but I have read about it.

Contact a reputable tree service in your area about Cambistat.
-Ralph

Try root pruning. It works for bonsai on a smaller scale.

Before you get too far into this endeavor, stop and think. What is the expected size of the two trees at maturity? Almost any ash that I know of has a mature height over 70' mulberry less. Do you think that you're going to have any success trying to fight millions of years of genetic programming by some radical chemical or mechanical method? Probably not...

...just a side note. Talk to a local tree service and inquire about the status of the Emerald Ash Borer,(EAB) in your area! ;) HC

#1. Positively identify the species.

#2. Why do you want to "control" the growth? Big trees are not per se bad things.

O and td, I do think genetic tendencies toward size can be altered by chemicals; happens all the time.

treeseer said:
O and td, I do think genetic tendencies toward size can be altered by chemicals; happens all the time.
Yeah boy, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"...pass the steroids, please.

Latest posts

Back