Converting Rayco RG20

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intheelements

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Rayco RG20 which is a manual push.Does anyone know if its possible to convert it to self propelled. Rayco said no, but did not explain why.I would appreciate any information anyone has
Both the machine and engine are in excellent condition.I paid only $650 for the machine and would like to keep it. That is the reason I ask this question.Just wondering if its possible so I can see if it would be less ( money and hassle )then buying a used self-propelled machine

Last edited:
You would have to pretty much rebuild the entire machine to retrofit a transaxle onto the machine. For the cost of the retrofit--- you could simply put that retrofit money with the money you could sell the existing unit for and buy a self propelled machine.

Stumper said:
You would have to pretty much rebuild the entire machine to retrofit a transaxle onto the machine. For the cost of the retrofit--- you could simply put that retrofit money with the money you could sell the existing unit for and buy a self propelled machine.

Well it was worth a try anyway.Thanks for the opinion

You are welcome.- You got a great deal on that machine -you could easily make some $$ selling it. FWIW, unless you work on a lot of steep or rough ground you aren't really disadvantaged on that RG20 working without self propulsion.

Don't convert it-sell it. Lugging that machine around is a real chore-ask my chiropractor. I work in Houston and it doesn't get much flatter than this but working in the mud, built up flowerbeds, around obstacles and piles of chips is tough work. Pull a mucle in your back trying to load the thing on a trailer or getting it over some landscape feature, like stepping stones, and you will wonder why you didn't spend a little more to get a self propelled grinder. The grinder actually gets heavier as you use it because they all tend to trap mud, moist chips and dirt underneath. I've had mine so loaded up with mud it took two guys to drag it over to a garden hose for a quick rinse. Also, all these handlebar machines require you to pivot off one locked wheel which means you will be digging a hole with that wheel. Yes, you can put plywood down but I tend to work around larger stumps from two or thee different angles and repositioning the plywood just becomes a pain in the neck. These smaller grinders don't contain the chips as well as bigger grinders so you will be wading through piles of chips as you reposition around the stump.
A lot of guys won't even look at a handlebar machine and consider a Vermeer SC252 or Rayco Super Junior to be entry level. If you want an RG20HD, I can get you a good one for around $3000+shipping.
Sorry to be so negative but we just upgraded from manual handlebar machines (Dosko and Husky) to a Rayco RG1631 and I'm a much happier guy these days.

Thanks to both Stumper, and Totally Stumped, both of you make some valid points. Although i'm a little disappointed that it appears I won't be able to convert this machine, I have experienced the same "inconveniences" as Totally Stumped. I did overcome the trailer problem by installing a winch with remote control on my trailer.

I guess my best option is to continue to use this machine and make some money?? . ( six inches of snow on the ground and cold weather here ) It was always my intention to purchase a 252 or equivalent as my business improved, which probably will mean keeping this machine and buying the other.

Maybe I'll have another round of good luck and find a great deal on a 252 or equivalent as I did on finding this RG20. Ya Right lol

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my request.

Totally Stumped: I would like to hear from you about any used RG20HD or etc, I'm always looking at my options

Last edited:
Hi

All have to say is GET FULLY HYDRAULIC. I have a Dosko (hotted up) to get in the small access gates etc and a fully auto machine, believe me, get away from the handle bars and head for a beach umbrella and radio whilst your thumb takes a beating on the joystick!

My "kanga" grinder also can pick up logs etc as its a mini loader, talk about kill 2 birds with one stone. Can your sc252 pick up logs?

See http://www.palmtreeservices.com.au/StumpRemoval.html

what about a stump humper,or a stump man grinder??i woulkdnt even consider the others :) i cant believe the yank small grinders :eek:

I didn't know that they sell or make Stump Humpers in US. That's because Rhyscorp make them here on the Sunshine coast in Queensland.

If you were buying one you'd have to get the 2000T model, it has a 20hp Kohler instead of a 18hp Briggs and is extremely well balanced.

The 2 distinct major advantages are ...

1/ You have a central pivot pin to sweep the stump and the wheels remain still so you don't have to fight the terrain

2/ You do not have a hand brake, not required as the hydraulic drives remain still.

Pretty good machine, it would be pick of the bunch for smaller access.

have you seen/used a "stumpman"50 hp yanmar with 9' sweep.remote control

Thanks to everyone that replied to this post. All of you had very interesting and informative information and I appreciate you taking the time. Even though it appears that I will not be attempting to convert this machine, I still would like to know what it would take to do it. Just curious.

Transaxle. New output pulley on engine. Hydraulic motor and hoses(actually-this is going to depend upon how the transaxle is set up-It could be included.) New belts. New belt cover/guard. New mounting system for axle. New braking system (It might be possible to utilize the original) Essentially it involves building a new stump grinder but Utilizing the existing frame with modifications and the old engine and cutter wheel. You'd save the cost of some components but be fabricating a machine .

to be honest i cant beleive they make stump grinders how ever small without some kind of self propelled system ,i didn't buy my little rg 13 because it was cheap i bought it because i need a stump cutter that will fit through a 25'' gate

Sorry i'm late in responding to your replies to my question, But I'v been buried under three feet of snow.

Thanks again to all who replied to my question. And a special thanks to Stumper for the "you really don't want to do this" answer to the what would it take to convert the grinder

Very good information from all

Latest posts

Back