corkscrew willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

topnotchtree

I trimmed a corkscrew willow at work about 2 months ago. I decided to start some new trees from the branches i trimmed off. I took some sucker growth branches about 5 feet long and around an inch thick, stuck them in a pail of water and they have been there since.(about 6 or 7 weeks). They did develop root growth. Should I plant them now or wait till spring? Is there anything I should have done different for the next time I try this?

Plant them now-so you don't freeze the bucket and damage the new roots. Planting is sand may be benificial. Whatever you plant them in, keep it wet through the winter. Rooting in a bucket of water is common and gives decent results but there are some supposed benefits to rooting in wet sand then planting the whole 'rootball'.:)

That's a big starter piece! I started mine with some twigs and it did great. Actually I still have one in a pot about 10 gal. but the tree is 7 or 8 ft. didn't want to plant it in my yard.
Just put it in a pot and cover the whole pot with mulch for the winter to insulate it and it should be fine.

I can't say I blame you for not wanting it in your yard Todd, but my wife thinks they are "pretty". lol . I also have lots of yard space . (and a chipper to cut messy things down when the hardwoods get bigger!)

Im not sure, but i think that cvs is grafted to hardy rootstock.

It may not hold up to your winters.

Worth a chance though.

Since they get so many cankers, i like to coppice them regularly so that you have multistemed, small diameter wood.

Back