Trim roots above tree collar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueridge24

Reaction score
Hello to all. I received an order of blue spruce bare root trees from a nursery. I was preparing to plant them, but am confused by the roots growing higher on the stem (about 3" above what I would consider the root collar). One of them you can see even grew vertically. Wondering if I should trim those or bury the stem/trunk up to there? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks (Not all are this way, but several are)1000015652.jpg1000015651.jpg. This is unusual to me, but I am no pro.1000015653.jpg

I can't really make out the root crown. Your spruce were probably field grown and dug bare rooted so one would think that they had been planted the proper depth and grew that way.

Often trees and shrubs that are dug and then balled and burlap have extra soil piled around the stem and then the burlap is closed. If they grow this way for some time what are called adventitious roots may well grow into that soil. The same happens when planted too deeply.

I drew a line on the one photo that you posted where it looks like the soil level should have been, or maybe just an inch lower, it's hard to tell. Adventitious roots should be pruned off.

Just so you know bare rooted trees are usually best planted during late winter.

root crown.jpg

I can't really make out the root crown. Your spruce were probably field grown and dug bare rooted so one would think that they had been planted the proper depth and grew that way.

Often trees and shrubs that are dug and then balled and burlap have extra soil piled around the stem and then the burlap is closed. If they grow this way for some time what are called adventitious roots may well grow into that soil. The same happens when planted too deeply.

I drew a line on the one photo that you posted where it looks like the soil level should have been, or maybe just an inch lower, it's hard to tell. Adventitious roots should be pruned off.

View attachment 1169227
Thank you for the quick reply. I would agree with you on the root crown or soil level above. I am just not sure how the other ones above that line grew? It is hard to say as the soil appears sandy and all over as you have said, but they appear (perspective from a novice) to have somehow grown with extra/deeper soil around the stem/trunk.

View attachment 1169227
I now see that these are 2-2 years old, and if correct, the second 2 means they were transplanted and maybe this is why I am seeing higher roots (they were transplanted too deep)?? Thanks

Maybe they were pulled bare root and hilled up in sand until ready to ship... stayed there long enough to grow the adventitious roots.
Thanks Del_ I was trying to think of that word. :)

Latest posts

Back