Correct Max RPMs for my Vermeer sc382

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a pre-owned Vermeer SC 382 with the vanguard 37 HP EFI Briggs & Stratton. On the side of the motor and in the manual it says to run the motor at 3600 RPMs but when I bought my machine it was set at $4,000 RPMs and I have found that it runs best at 4200 RPMs but I worry that I'm going to wear the motor out much quicker doing so.
So my question is what are the max RPMs other guys running with the same setup? ( Vanguard 37hp EFI Briggs & Stratton) on a 2019 Vermeer SC 382.
And does anyone have any tips on ways to gain more power out of this machine?
Thanks, Shawn

Different application, but the 35hp (carburated version of yours) in my mower is governed at 3600 rpm also, and where the engine is rated for its power. I believe the Rev limiter is set at 4300 rpm so you are flirting with the upper end of the engines settings.
Vanguard does have a high Rev kit with coils that raise the red line to 4750rpm but you would also have to upgrade your valve springs to reliably turn the higher speeds.

Those 35/37 horse vanguard engines will stick valves if they get too hot I’ve had to replace a few so far. I wouldn’t run them any higher than 3600 rpm and make sure to keep all cooling fins clean and clear. Really no way to get more power out of it without major surgery. They’ve already pushed the limits with that engine as it is.

Air cooled.

Gotcha. I've only owned and been around the liquid cooled versions, they've been good engines, albeit a little cold blooded in the winter. Other than that No issues of any sort in 2k hrs + or - in each.
But that's a really small subset and was curious where you were seeing valve issues.

Gotcha. I've only owned and been around the liquid cooled versions, they've been good engines, albeit a little cold blooded in the winter. Other than that No issues of any sort in 2k hrs + or - in each.
But that's a really small subset and was curious where you were seeing valve issues.
Yeah the 35/37 horse air cooled engines are about 1000cc they’ve had issues with cylinder heads sticking valves if they run too hot. Pushing it past the recommended rpm range isn’t a good idea. Like I said make sure the engine stays clean. Any obstructions to the cooling air will at minimum put you at risk. They may have fixed the problem since that engine first hit the scene I’m not 100% sure but I’ll look into it. Don’t see too may of those engines unless they have cylinder head issues of course.

Latest posts

Back