cost of 084 slug and jug?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms290

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
what one gonna run a guy. I preffer OE but if there is a decent alternative ill take it. I got a lead on an 084 and if i get it im sure ill need to rebuild it. Who knows what else may need fixin on the thing.

Translation:

I think I may have found an older 084 that may require a top end rebuild, amongst other things. That being said, does anybody know what a stihl piston and cylinder (or the equivilent) will cost? Thanks! :greenchainsaw:

curse it. If it can be salvaged i will do so. I dont need a saw that big but it will come in handy on them BIG trees. So whats a top end gonna cost if it needs it?

$325 on baileys for the 066/660

curse it. If it can be salvaged i will do so. I dont need a saw that big but it will come in handy on them BIG trees. So whats a top end gonna cost if it needs it?

Can't see 084 being cheaper!

Generally OEM go for 2- 300 ,every month or so, on US ebay.BUT as has been mentioned wait till you get the saw and check out your jug.Whether its the Nikisil plating or some other factor they do clean up most times.Then you'll
only be up for piston assembly.

what one gonna run a guy. I preffer OE but if there is a decent alternative ill take it. I got a lead on an 084 and if i get it im sure ill need to rebuild it. Who knows what else may need fixin on the thing.

I would plan on a minimum of $500.00+ for the P/C, seals, carb kit, lines and other typical misc. if you are going through a typical OEM dealer. I have not priced 1124 parts in a long while but a toasted one gets expensive fast.

They can have a loooooooooot of room to wiggle on some parts, so ask.

Last edited:
My dealer loves to sell me 084 parts, that's why I only own one.

I would plan on a minimum of $500.00+ for the P/C, seals, carb kit, lines and other typical misc. if you are going through a typical OEM dealer. I have not priced 1124 parts in a long while but a toasted one gets expensive fast.

They can have a loooooooooot of room to wiggle on some parts, so ask.

That's about what I would plan on as well. I believe the last list price I saw on a Mahle 084 top end from Stihl was around $414.

will an 088 p/c bolt on?

But the jug from a 1977 Yamaha 175 Enduro will bolt up with a few minor minor modifications to the underlying fabric of the physical universe....

Sorry to be so obtuse, it just got me thinking about a motorbike I once had, and how darn powerful it was. Wheelies and all. The 084 has 122/175, or about 70% of the displacement of that bike, and I get to hold it in my hands and use it to cut wood. Pretty amazing when I think about it. That is a lot of power in a 30+ lb. package.

Maybe I come from "The Home for the Easily Amazed.":monkey::greenchainsaw:

then theres the guy....

But the jug from a 1977 Yamaha 175 Enduro will bolt up with a few minor minor modifications to the underlying fabric of the physical universe....

who was adapting 2 jugs from a 1830(?) DC3 Radial onto a Harley CrankCase...

just over 200 inches of boredom relief....

this guy was a machinist with an airline... Never did find out if he made it work! But sounded like a fun idea! Harley BB!

:monkey:

I just put a new piston a cylinder on my 084av a couple months ago. If I remember correctally it was about $445 for the cylinder $90 for the piston and rings and $6 for the cylinder gasket. They are still available from the dealer as are most of the other parts for the 084's.

Back