Cost of 36" bars for Alaskan MKIII??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey,

I managed to pick up a new Alaskan MKIII that is missing the long bars (the two square ones and the circular one) at a great price ($33 shipped). All the other hardware is there though.

Has anyone bought a set of just the three 36" bars from Granberg? Do you know roughly what it cost? Someone recently posted about getting 48" bars (I think just the two square ones) for $60 plus shipping.

I called their customer service today and evidentially the people that could give me that info are out of the office today, so I can't ask until Monday. But I'm itching to put this together quickly and start cutting, so I would like to figure out if I should buy the bars from them or make some myself from unistrut or something this weekend.

Thanks a bunch!
--Tyler

Hey,

I managed to pick up a new Alaskan MKIII that is missing the long bars (the two square ones and the circular one) at a great price ($33 shipped). All the other hardware is there though.

Has anyone bought a set of just the three 36" bars from Granberg? Do you know roughly what it cost? Someone recently posted about getting 48" bars (I think just the two square ones) for $60 plus shipping.

I called their customer service today and evidentially the people that could give me that info are out of the office today, so I can't ask until Monday. But I'm itching to put this together quickly and start cutting, so I would like to figure out if I should buy the bars from them or make some myself from unistrut or something this weekend.

Thanks a bunch!
--Tyler

I think they are more than that, here is a link to a set on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALASKAN-MK-III-36-THICKNESS-RAILS-CHAINSAW-SAWMILL_W0QQitemZ220054913316QQihZ012QQcategoryZ85915QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

$60 is the correct price for the 48" rails

I was the one who posted about the 48" rails costing $60 plus shipping. I looked at the invoice and that is the correct price as of last June. When I ordered them I had originaly called to find out the price so I would know if the ones on ebay were a good deal. I asked the guy at Grandberg why they were less than what I saw on ebay and he said he didn't know but that they price all the individual parts so that if you bought them one at a time they would be the same as a whole mill. Pretty cool pricing policy if you ask me.

If they are priced per foot that should make the 36" ones cost $45. please post the correct price when you finaly talk to the right guy at grandberg.

I was the one who posted about the 48" rails costing $60 plus shipping. I looked at the invoice and that is the correct price as of last June. When I ordered them I had originaly called to find out the price so I would know if the ones on ebay were a good deal. I asked the guy at Grandberg why they were less than what I saw on ebay and he said he didn't know but that they price all the individual parts so that if you bought them one at a time they would be the same as a whole mill. Pretty cool pricing policy if you ask me.

If they are priced per foot that should make the 36" ones cost $45. please post the correct price when you finaly talk to the right guy at grandberg.

Hey Blue rider,

I just purchased 2 pieces of aluminum unistrut that are 6' long from McMaster Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com/ to put on the mill I'm building. Using the Unistrut you can use any Unistrut bracketing you want. Go to the McMaster Carr link and type in "aluminum, unistrut".

Just another option to look at.

jerry-

With shipping it came to $47.62.

Are those round bars on the Alaskans structural at all or are they just a full length hand hold?

Ian

Are those round bars on the Alaskans structural at all or are they just a full length hand hold?

Ian

On the two alaskans I made last year the round bars don't add much to the structure.

I guess it depends on the strength of the main rails and how firmly they are fixed to the cross pieces. If these are on the flimsy side then the round bar can be used to triangulate with the rails and become quite structural .

Those round bars are supposed to be torsion bars. My GB has one and it helps prevent twisting with the long bars. The 44" bar really doesn't need but I leave it on anyway.

I called Granberg today about the 36" rails. They quoted $55 for the set of three rails (two square and one circular), plus shipping costs. I managed to get a set of the same (but used) for $42 + shipping over the weekend though. I'm getting excited (and impatient) to get this together!

--Tyler

Back