Cottanwood thinning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrggh, cottonwood. I have a few I need to drop on a friend's property. Big trees, small space. Not looking forward to it. Wish I could just leave 'em to the beavers. It's super-wet ground so you just KNOW it's gonna be a sloppy mess, like taking a bath in oatmeal.

QUOTE=Gologit;2954478]Yup...we need some longer videos. And some pictures of JM, too.

But, he moves pretty fast for an old guy, doesn't he? :msp_biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Ill talk to the director about the vids.

By request a couple pics of JM

184246d1305564088-dsc_0040-jpg

184247d1305564110-dsc_0041-jpg

View attachment 184246View attachment 184247[

That tree started going over about a third of the way into the back cut and I mean going not just the kerf starting to open. I dont like hangin around a stump when they start doing unpredictable things like that. I did make sure it was comitted to its direction of fall before booking. Like I said earlierthe center was mush.

Last edited:
Arrggh, cottonwood. I have a few I need to drop on a friend's property. Big trees, small space. Not looking forward to it. Wish I could just leave 'em to the beavers. It's super-wet ground so you just KNOW it's gonna be a sloppy mess, like taking a bath in oatmeal.

This a poor time of year to have to deal with cottonwoods in tight spaces. They're wet, soft and extremely lean heavy with the leaves coming out. If possible I like to take care of them in the winter time when they're not so top heavy. I've tried wedging them in the spring and it'll make you nervous if they're too heavy. The wedges just sink into the tree.
The first cottonwood I ever fell for someone was in the spring. It leaned back some, not too heavy. I'd been cutting for about a year and I was an experienced "faller". Yeah, right!
Long story short, it went over backward and tore off the gutters. I came out good on that one and learned an important lesson in close proximity to houses with cottonwoods.

That tree started going over about a third of the way into the back cut and I mean going not just the kerf starting to open. I dont like hangin around a stump when they start doing unpredictable things like that. I did make sure it was comitted to its direction of fall before booking. Like I said earlierthe center was mush.

You did the right thing. When stuff like that happens you're not going to do any good by trying to saw it up. Best to just beat feet on out of there. Fast.

This a poor time of year to have to deal with cottonwoods in tight spaces. They're wet, soft and extremely lean heavy with the leaves coming out.

I know, and that's why I'm dreading it. Fortunately there's no structures to hit, just a road I don't want to have to buck out. It's a stupid project -- buddy has a patch of crappy alder bog in the middle of a development he had intended to build on. Decided otherwise, and now wants to sell, but wants to clear it first. "Leave the trees for somebody else, the hydrology is a mess", says I. "Naw, I wanna sell it NOW!", says he. Whatever, I'm just the guy with the saw. His liability. His neighbors. His property.

We got all the alder out a couple of weeks ago (came out to about 5 cords, just as I estimated), and dropped the maples, but I don't want to touch the cottonwoods until we have all the slash from the alders chipped or burned. I can see getting hurt pretty easily if I have to make a break for it in that pile of mucky stabby bits.

I know, and that's why I'm dreading it. Fortunately there's no structures to hit, just a road I don't want to have to buck out. It's a stupid project -- buddy has a patch of crappy alder bog in the middle of a development he had intended to build on. Decided otherwise, and now wants to sell, but wants to clear it first. "Leave the trees for somebody else, the hydrology is a mess", says I. "Naw, I wanna sell it NOW!", says he. Whatever, I'm just the guy with the saw. His liability. His neighbors. His property.

We got all the alder out a couple of weeks ago (came out to about 5 cords, just as I estimated), and dropped the maples, but I don't want to touch the cottonwoods until we have all the slash from the alders chipped or burned. I can see getting hurt pretty easily if I have to make a break for it in that pile of mucky stabby bits.
Running across sappy crushed limbs to get away from a hazard is not a good thing. It's a great way to spend some immediate butt time slipping on that crap. Sounds like you've got it figured out the right way.

View attachment 184403damn cottonwod. you can't get far enough away from it and ya still stink. went down to the park job to buck up the fire wood from the last section. and grind up the stumps. heres a pic of my remote control toy. gota go take shower now.

Guess what I got to cut again

More stinkin Cotton woods. I sure miss the smell of Doug fir havent cut any since last week in Montana. My poor saws hate the stink.The pic in the vid has a back lean and a pretty good side lean twords the Camera. Theres a septic drain field from the camera and favored lean side so whack wack heavey soft tree with water in it,
Jani thought the little swirlys were cool so she took a pic
The high stup is to get past the root flare and we can get away with em because the owner has a shovel to dig em out if he wants.

241263d1339377123-c1-jpg

241264d1339377155-c2-jpg

241265d1339377187-c5-jpg

Latest posts

Back