Cottonwood speedling video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's 43 mb, you might wanna download it.

We did the job last fall, and I finally put the clips together this morning.

The double trunked 105 footer was over an Indian retreat house in Medina, just a mile or so from that retiree Billy Gates' modest spread.....Zero drop zone. A fence and a row of cypress under as well. Then a driveway area leading to two more good customer's homes, lined with some nice trees. So, out drop zone was 20-25 feet wide. Meant everything but a few twigs had to be speedlined. Lower limbs had to be swung and lifted, utilizing a high speedline tie off, the limbs tied out a ways, and a bight in the line, which allows the load to be lifted and/or swung around. GRCS was used on a few limbs to assist, if I recall. Mostly the portawrap was all that was needed for the control/lowering line. We tensioned the zipline with the chipper winch. We had our old PW 1 as the interface. On some zips, you can see that the PW wa too far away from the chipper, which meant the slung limbs came up against it, which threw a minor monkey wrench in our fluidity.
(Our 9/16th double braid full static no stretch line is the cat's meow for these applications)
I got no photos the second day, when we finished brushing the trees and craned the logs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29EB8MZ0hhk

Stand by for the video,---and pics (posted some time ago on other boards) from 3 huge lombardy poplars that we did 3 weeks ago.....148 feet tall, 7, 6, and 6 feet on the butts....and 20 feet between the houses, plus 2 feet from a unfinished garage.....Probably the most spectacular work I've yet filmed....

Here's a teaser..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf7_ihT79gU&feature=user

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool work, nice job. But the one handing, tsk, tsk. Did you not say you had two handed a saw back in '82 once?

I will watch this again, thanks rb.

I think it wuz '79.....

I've cut firewood with two saws at once, too...but then, I'm tetched......

in da head.....

That was in remembrance of a caption run in Powder, the skier's mag, back it the '70's or '80's.....A guy is leaning hard over in a high speed turn...and the pic is captioned, "Fall, nah, but I drug a hand back in....'75...

Last edited:
That's sweet RB. Those big trees look like a rush to climb and work on. Good speedline work, I like the bight on the one for leverage to pull the top over. I haven't got to do any serious speedline work, one here and there, but I am looking forward to doing some that's a little more involved. Again, excellent work and documentary.

Glad you liked it, nails....too bad I missed the shutter release for that last top.....which woulda showed them pulling the top over with da bight....

A helmet cam will be my next toy.....Hoping to find something good (an cheaper) besides the best of them, the $700 POV 1.....

That's when you know you are set, when you can buy a helmet cam, lol. That would be cool. Yeah I'm puttin "da bight" in my bag "O" tricks, thank you.

Last edited:
Hey Rog, on the powder vid you mention Geritol. How much naproxin was involved? ;-)

Vitamin N is my drug of choice these days.

A helmet cam will be my next toy.....Hoping to find something good (an cheaper) besides the best of them, the $700 POV 1.....

HAve you looked at this site?
http://www.helmetcamreview.com/

Last edited:
Great job, I have not had the pleasure of working with that type of setup.

Making it look that easy sure does show your level of experience.

Great video!

Latest posts

Back