Cottonwood that won't quit falling over

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben S

Reaction score
I planted a very small Cottonwood 4 years back. It was just a small twig when I planted it and now it is well over 15' tall. I think it actually grew too fast. I can't seem to keep it upright. I don't know if the roots can't supports it or what but I have tried several different methods to try and keep it upright but it always seems to fall over. It is still growing very well it is just on its side. Is there anything I can do to help this or should I just cut it down and start over? Thanks for any help.

Cottonwoods drink a lot, and have a tendency to fall over, especially when they're three sheets to the wind, lol.

In all seriousness, I'm sure you chose a cottonwood because you wanted a fast growing tree, and now you have seen the downside to fast growing trees: they outgrow their root system, especially in a non-native environment with easy access to water.

You might want to choose a slower growing more long-lived species, especially if it is near structures. Don't get me wrong, tree guys love cottonwood, they pay the rent, especially after a windstorm, lol.

I planted a very small Cottonwood 4 years back. It was just a small twig when I planted it and now it is well over 15' tall. I think it actually grew too fast. I can't seem to keep it upright. I don't know if the roots can't supports it or what but I have tried several different methods to try and keep it upright but it always seems to fall over. It is still growing very well it is just on its side. Is there anything I can do to help this or should I just cut it down and start over? Thanks for any help.
Cottonwoods very quickly like to attain this state anyway. I'd just leave it horizontal. A lot fewer broken limbs falling off as well

Texas is hot, but at least there are no cottonwoods around these parts. I'm a little hurt that I haven't received my wedding invitation yet:cry:

Back